Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #1 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Is Ciroc stressed or bored?

So I did a water change [30%] 2 days ago and since, I never noticed it before, Ciroc has been swimming back and forth, left and right, throughout his home. He still is making nest though[which is a good thing right? He is comfortable?] Could it be his reflection? I mean that could be the only thing I can think of. What should temps be? I believe its 74 right now.
I just don't want him to get too stressed but he seems fine. Very very active throughout the day. Sometimes at night. He likes whenever i talk to him and poke my finger in the water. Sometimes lets me pet him [is that okay?]
If its his reflection[ I'm assuming] I was planning on getting a background this weekend anyways. Also I'm having trouble finding out how to post pictures, are there any guide links? Thank you!
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

How big is the tank. 74F is way to low try 78F-82F. Try to make sure there are a lot of decorations.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

His water is WAY too cold, you need to get a heater for him and warm it up at least to 78. Also do you have any plants in there or any hideouts for him? He could be bored or stressed out that he has no hides.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

That is what I said.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #5 
ZackyBear

Does he do it only when you are around? Have you tried sneaking into the room to where he doesn't see you?

It could be he just wants a bit of food. Some bettas will 'dance' and wiggle in attempt to charm you for another pellet or flake pinch ;p
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Tank size Bettas require a tank of 2.5 gallons minimum 5 would be better for you do nor forget heater. ZackyBear I have a chocolate Betta too is it in a 10 gallon if so it would be just like mine.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #7 
a123andpoof

Okay 74 is just fine. I have kept betta's at the temp just fine. Most of my tanks are around 75-76 and I don't think 1 degree lower will matter as long as he is healthy. It could be he is just bored maybe change up his decor or rearrange it. As long as the tank is at least 1g and you keep up with the changes it's fine.
It could be his reflection, but if he is kind of pacing I would guess it could be boredom.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #8 
ZackyBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Tank size Bettas require a tank of 2.5 gallons minimum 5 would be better for you do nor forget heater. ZackyBear I have a chocolate Betta too is it in a 10 gallon if so it would be just like mine.
He is actually a mustard gas and the true minimum for a betta is 1 gallon (though it isn't preferred). Portal prime (betta in the pic) is living in a 1.5 gallon tank with a heater/filter/tomato plant and he is perfectly happy.

And as for boredom, floating a bottle cap/ping-pong ball in the tank could help. Some bettas like to push them around or use them as mediums for a bubble next.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #9 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
How big is the tank. 74F is way to low try 78F-82F. Try to make sure there are a lot of decorations.
That what I was thinking and I was also thinking as long as it doesn't get any lower than that he should be fine till Saturday. He is in a 5 gallon and I know thats plenty of room for him. He has a glass vase he loves swimming in and out of, a moon rock hide he doesn't really use, and I made him a hide with a big shell leaning against a glow in the dark plant. I have pictures, i'm just having trouble figuring out how to post them.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #10 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
His water is WAY too cold, you need to get a heater for him and warm it up at least to 78. Also do you have any plants in there or any hideouts for him? He could be bored or stressed out that he has no hides.
He has 2 different hides, one he never uses. and a vase he likes to play in.

I'm getting a heatr this saturday for him. That was already on the top of my to do list. Along with getting him some live treats and a background to hide his reflection.Are there any live treats you would recommend for a fiesty betta?