Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #1 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Veiltails?

So Magic (the fish in my avatar and profile pic) is about 1year just under 1 year old about 9-10 months. I never even considered breeding veiltails before but while they might not be in shows i found a lot of people love this tail type and would like to see a solid line going so i was wondering if I should consider breeding a solid line of purples starting with magic because he has the most purple i've seen so far but google purple betta in images and that is what i want I also need to if anyone in canada might buy i am only asking this because i want to know how many people might be interested not to make a list of buyers. let me know what you think i am still very unsure.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #2 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Anyone have an opinion? usually you guys are 'yelling' about everything.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #3 
VanBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
So Magic (the fish in my avatar and profile pic) is about 1year just under 1 year old about 9-10 months. I never even considered breeding veiltails before but while they might not be in shows i found a lot of people love this tail type and would like to see a solid line going so i was wondering if I should consider breeding a solid line of purples starting with magic because he has the most purple i've seen so far but google purple betta in images and that is what i want I also need to if anyone in canada might buy i am only asking this because i want to know how many people might be interested not to make a list of buyers. let me know what you think i am still very unsure.

Hello. I am currently working with my orange veiltail. I think if you really want to, then go for it. It'll be fun trying to produce purple bettas and I'm sure you can give them away to your friends and family. There are still a lot of veiltail lovers out there. Don't let anyone discourage you from doing what you want.
I'm a veiltail lover.
VanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #4 
Luimeril

the BIGGEST issue with veils is, it's so easy to go to the pet store and pick one up for four bucks. not many people wanna buy them, since they're so common. yeah, you have people who LOVE them, but spawns can number the hundreds. will you have homes for all 100+ babies?

personally, i love veils. own four males and a female myself. one of them, i got from a breeder on here. but, i'd be iffy about spending even just the cost of shipping for one, because i can go to Pet Lover's and buy someone truly unique for just four and a quarter.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #5 
VanBoy

I already have 7 friends ask me if I would give them a fish after I've bread them and they're big enough to give away. Also my aunt and her boyfriend are asking for 5 for their apartment. I know I'll have more friends ask for a fish. I think my teachers would love one as a gift. I'll still have more but I'll find good homes for them.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #6 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Great idea I could give them to teachers as pets for the classroom and they are not to expensive to set up our local walmart sells tanks for cheap like a 5 gal with a couple accesories for 20 bucks (I am in canada so 20 dollars is really cheap) I know my anty is going to get 2 more bettas and I probably could convince my grandma to get one I will most likely give most away for free as gifts to friends and family... I would find homes for them before I bred them of course I think I could do it. Oh and I have been watching your thread and am thinking Sunkist might not be an egg eater but maybe you left him in to long because the fry you found were swimming free so maybe daddy had a midnight snack lol hope the 2 fry are doing well!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #7 
VanBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
Great idea I could give them to teachers as pets for the classroom and they are not to expensive to set up our local walmart sells tanks for cheap like a 5 gal with a couple accesories for 20 bucks (I am in canada so 20 dollars is really cheap) I know my anty is going to get 2 more bettas and I probably could convince my grandma to get one I will most likely give most away for free as gifts to friends and family... I would find homes for them before I bred them of course I think I could do it. Oh and I have been watching your thread and am thinking Sunkist might not be an egg eater but maybe you left him in to long because the fry you found were swimming free so maybe daddy had a midnight snack lol hope the 2 fry are doing well!

I'm happy you're thinking for yourself. See, I had to learn the hard way. My dad, he keeps telling me to throw my fishies away. He tells me I should stop trying to breed my bettas because I will never be successful. Every time we go to the petshop and I see a betta that I think I could use for my breeding project, he finds a way to make me not get the fish. It was until I finally said I had enough of him telling me what I can and cannot do and I used the money that I had saved to buy the things needed to breed. And guess what, I proved him wrong. I was successful and that's when I started thinking for myself. It wasn't just about fish, but other things too such as sports and drawing, etc..(everything I enjoy doing)

Lol. He really is an egg eater. They bread at night and I woke up to find an empty nest. The two fry are doing great.

Last edited by VanBoy; 09-18-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #8 
MoonShadow

I have been told by a few different breeders as well as the president of the IBC that veiltails are never going to be taken seriously until a few breeders actually take the time to work with them, create some solid lines, and prove that they are just as worthy as all of the other tailtypes!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #9 
MaisyDawgThirteen

If I ever have time/money to breed I will try and set up a nice solid VT line.

Go for it, and good luck!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #10 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I am thinking about it and I will get a export license once I have a solid line to sell to breeders in US who will then show them I think I will give this a chance what do you think?