Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #1 
hershyykiss

New betta fish (with fin rot?)

Hello Betta forum...
I just got a veil-tail betta (bright red, very pretty). He is in a nice tank (3 gal), with some aquarium salt, adequate hiding spaces, a heater, filter, no pokey parts...I tried to do my homework before I got him.
So, when we got him he had a little black at the edge of his tail. Since then, the black seems to be spreading a bit, and has clear parts rimmed with black on the tail.
My question: is this fin rot? And if it is, is it my tank making him sick, or is it possibly from the pet store water, and will it get better as my aquarium?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hershyykiss; 09-18-2012 at 09:27 PM.
hershyykiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 
lvandert

Welcome hershy! could you possibly post a picture so we can see what your talking about?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #3 
hershyykiss

It's not the greatest pic, but you can see what I mean.

also, here is a pic of his whole beautiful self :) His name is Brisingr (means "Fire" in the Eragon novels)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

it's common for bettas to have a rim of differing color around the edges of their fins, and also normal for them to change color once they're in a proper home (our MG DeT Vlad was almost entirely yellow when we bought him, but he's now mostly blue) are the edges of his fins looking tattered, melted or curled? the photo you gave us isn't clear enough to diagnose fin rot from, i personally don't see any signs in it.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #5 
lvandert

your first picture isn't showing up :( the second picture doesn't help much...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #6 
hershyykiss

besides the darker coloring around the rim, there is no curling or tatters on his fins. I will definitely keep an eye on it, and if any of that starts to happen, I will post another pic of that.
It's a relief to know that you don't think it's fin rot; he's active and always comes out to say hi when I go over to his tank :)
He's also a little picky; he takes his pellets into his mouth and spits them out, and does that a few times but doesn't end up eating them. I heard that that may be just a preference thing, and that he'll adjust and eat better
Old 09-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #7 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershyykiss View Post
besides the darker coloring around the rim, there is no curling or tatters on his fins. I will definitely keep an eye on it, and if any of that starts to happen, I will post another pic of that.
It's a relief to know that you don't think it's fin rot; he's active and always comes out to say hi when I go over to his tank :)
He's also a little picky; he takes his pellets into his mouth and spits them out, and does that a few times but doesn't end up eating them. I heard that that may be just a preference thing, and that he'll adjust and eat better
are they particularly big pellets? the behavior you're describing sounds like he's getting them in his mouth, but can't fit them down his esophagus, so he eats them, a little comes off and he spits the rest out, then repeats. some of our smaller fish do it too, particularly our goldfish when they were peanuts, they'd suck in a flake, and a second later spit out tiny bits and then re-eat those.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote