Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #91 
ANHEL123
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
wait until Oldfishlady confirm what i am saying. If you will not have answer from her or anyone else who already knows what is going on then yes i would change the water and put him in epsom salt. It the same preparations. I would really do 3tsp/gall though.
I have a question though did you see anything visible under his scales ? And one more question is his scales raised on all his body or just partially?
The reason i am asking that because i saw the post when fish had external black parasites under the scales and scales were raised. But i am really don't think that he has it just want to make sure.
Because i would think if it fluid in his body then all his scales will be raised. Is it make sense?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #92 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Since he hasn't adapted in the week that you have had him or hasn't eaten...I think he was most likely sick to start with and then with poor nutrition- further compounded the issue-especially now that he has taken a sudden turn for the worse...New growth on a fin, becoming more lethargic, scales sticking up without edema and still not eating....Sadly, not a lot you can do, however, Epsom salt 3tsp/gal along with some tannins won't hurt.

Since you don't have any Epsom salt on hand yet....if you have access to any Oak trees that you could collect some naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf....add about 4-6 to his tank-crush them up first and allow one to float at the surface to help make him feel more secure-turn off the filter and lower the water level to about 3-4 inches, turn off the light-dim lit quiet location for now-Its important to limit the stress as much as you can.

If you have access to mosquito larva-go collect some-look for some standing water outside and use a fine meshed net and scoop some out-rinse and add to his tank to see if you can stimulate his feeding/hunting instinct.....

Good luck and keep us posted......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #93 
RedRaz
Member
 
RedRaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Since he hasn't adapted in the week that you have had him or hasn't eaten...I think he was most likely sick to start with and then with poor nutrition- further compounded the issue-especially now that he has taken a sudden turn for the worse...New growth on a fin, becoming more lethargic, scales sticking up without edema and still not eating....Sadly, not a lot you can do, however, Epsom salt 3tsp/gal along with some tannins won't hurt.

Since you don't have any Epsom salt on hand yet....if you have access to any Oak trees that you could collect some naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf....add about 4-6 to his tank-crush them up first and allow one to float at the surface to help make him feel more secure-turn off the filter and lower the water level to about 3-4 inches, turn off the light-dim lit quiet location for now-Its important to limit the stress as much as you can.

If you have access to mosquito larva-go collect some-look for some standing water outside and use a fine meshed net and scoop some out-rinse and add to his tank to see if you can stimulate his feeding/hunting instinct.....

Good luck and keep us posted......
Thank you OFL! I will see what I can do. I appreciate all your help. I will keep you all updated.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #94 
lelei
Member
 
lelei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Haverhill, MA
I am soo sorry to see Redraz not doing so good, I sure hope he recovers, Please let me know if you need some IAL, I have and can send..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #95 
RedRaz
Member
 
RedRaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago
I did notice that Raz keeps darting around like he has an itch or something. Keeps doing sharp turns and getting close to the floor. Almost rubbing his head or body. He doesn't have ich does he?
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #96 
lelei
Member
 
lelei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Haverhill, MA
Sounds like parasites, explains the not eating..he needs the Empsom salts..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #97 
RedRaz
Member
 
RedRaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Sounds like parasites, explains the not eating..he needs the Empsom salts..
Thanks for offering the IAL. *hugs* I appreciate that. Perseusmom is sending me some today.

I was thinking that too. Anything else I can get for him? I don't have oak trees by me unfortunately. As soon as my hubs gets home we will get some Epsom salt. My CC got compromised so I have no way of buying it til he gets here. Otherwise I would of gotten it already. *sigh* It's been a bad week all together. :(
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #98 
ANHEL123
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
wait that is what i wrote before sticking out scales could be also external parasites not internal. This is new symptoms for him. With internal parasites he would be bloated from having parasites in his stomach and have discoloration of the stomach. With external parasites one time i read post that if they under the scales then scales can be raised.
Oldfishlady am i right?
If he has those new symptoms then it not epsom salt it aquarium salt.
His stomach not bloated. It probable external parasites . And picture before something white on his fin and then it disappeared...
Do you still have him in aq salt? Keep him for now and wait again for someone who confirm what i wrote. I think it can be external parasites.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #99 
RedRaz
Member
 
RedRaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
wait that is what i wrote before sticking out scales could be also external parasites not internal. This is new symptoms for him. With internal parasites he would be bloated from having parasites in his stomach and have discoloration of the stomach. With external parasites one time i read post that if they under the scales then scales can be raised.
Oldfishlady am i right?
If he has those new symptoms then it not epsom salt it aquarium salt.
His stomach not bloated. It probable external parasites . And picture before something white on his fin and then it disappeared...
Do you still have him in aq salt? Keep him for now and wait again for someone who confirm what i wrote. I think it can be external parasites.
I have him in his cup in a quiet room with the lights off. I'm trying to lower his stress. The water in his cup has AQ salt still I didn't change it yet. I really don't know what he has. I'm confused.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #100 
ANHEL123
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
so sorry i know it frustrating and confusing. But you wrote new symptoms ..and it change the way you have to treat him.
Oldfishlady not on line, so i saw Sena is i just texted her to see what is her opinion. So sorry. If you can go buy epsom salt and then check on forum. But i would also think you might need medications also for external parasites. I have them at work i could mail them to you but i don't know if you even have time to wait.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.