Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #171 
RedRaz

I believe Raz has fin rot :( His fins are very frayed and worse then I have ever seen them. Is there anything I can do?
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #172 
lelei

Hey Red, I know you were trying AQ salt, for that before or for the parasites, if you are using it still, depending on how long you already been using it, I would try to keep up for a few more days, if you are already at the 14 day limit, just use the stress coat, and do the daily water changes, to see if he gets some growth.. I sure hope so, do you see black at the edges?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #173 
lelei

Hun, can you also post a new pic possibly? so we can see if it's advanced.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #174 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Hey Red, I know you were trying AQ salt, for that before or for the parasites, if you are using it still, depending on how long you already been using it, I would try to keep up for a few more days, if you are already at the 14 day limit, just use the stress coat, and do the daily water changes, to see if he gets some growth.. I sure hope so, do you see black at the edges?
He has been on the AQ treatment for 5 days so far. Here is a picture of his fin that looks bad. Yeah the edges look really dark. :(
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #175 
Sakura8

:( Oh no! I am so very sorry to hear about this, RedRaz. I'm not sure if that is fin rot or if the flukes have torn up his fins. How is he doing now? Is he any better or worse?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #176 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
:( Oh no! I am so very sorry to hear about this, RedRaz. I'm not sure if that is fin rot or if the flukes have torn up his fins. How is he doing now? Is he any better or worse?
Actually He is swimming more which surprised me. His fin has gotten worse since last night. :( What should I do? Is there anything I can do?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #177 
Sakura8

Is he still in just AQ salt? Can you get hold of any medications like Tetracycline? That is a good med for fin rot. If I'm not too far off, he's probably nearing the end of his salt treatment period (14 days max) so it should be okay to switch him into meds if necessary. Otherwise, clean water and Stress Coat. Also, OFL's advice about tannins is excellent too. If you need IAL, don't hesitate to ask, I can send you some.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #178 
RedRaz

Quote:
Is he still in just AQ salt? Can you get hold of any medications like Tetracycline? That is a good med for fin rot. If I'm not too far off, he's probably nearing the end of his salt treatment period (14 days max) so it should be okay to switch him into meds if necessary. Otherwise, clean water and Stress Coat. Also, OFL's advice about tannins is excellent too. If you need IAL, don't hesitate to ask, I can send you some.
Yeah he is still in AQ salt but I did not do a water change today because he was in bad shape. I just put new water in his cup and floated him. Should I do a 100% water change then? I started salt treatment on Friday. So it's only been 5 days. This one I can order on amazon and do next day shipment. Take a look and see if that is okay. Tetracycline API I have IAL coming but is taking forever. I ordered it from online but they just shipped it today. :( *sigh*
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #179 
Sakura8

Did you order your IAL from Amy Ketapang in Singapore? If so, it could take a month. :(

OFL said not to do 100% water changes if he's really stressed out and breathing hard. If he's doing a little better and more stable, then maybe do a partial change, as much as you can without removing him from the water. But remember how much water you took out because that will dictate how much salt you put back in. Only put back in the same amount of salt that you took out.

Yup, API Tetracycline. You don't have access to a Petsmart? They do sell Tetracycline, if you want to avoid paying extra shipping.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #180 
RedRaz

Quote:
Did you order your IAL from Amy Ketapang in Singapore? If so, it could take a month. :(

OFL said not to do 100% water changes if he's really stressed out and breathing hard. If he's doing a little better and more stable, then maybe do a partial change, as much as you can without removing him from the water. But remember how much water you took out because that will dictate how much salt you put back in. Only put back in the same amount of salt that you took out.

Yup, API Tetracycline. You don't have access to a Petsmart? They do sell Tetracycline, if you want to avoid paying extra shipping.
I bought it from a guy in Florida. Estomated time of delivery is from the 5th to the 10th. *sigh* He is breathing rapidly yes. Should I do a partial change then? My hubs just jumped in his car to rush over to Petsmart. They have some on hold for us. So when I do treat Raz with this medication should I change his water so it doesn't mix with the AQ salt treated water he is in now?