Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #31 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Was he eating at all before, when you got him home, and If he's not eating you may not see poo..but I would get some epsom salt and keep on hand just in case if needed. I hope he will come around soon..I would also keep a Hospital tank on standby.
He would go for the food when I first brought him home but later noticed he was spitting it out. So I don't believe he truly ate anything since. I have tried all types of food and nothing. I see poo but I have a snail too and it might actually be the snails poo. I just bought a hospital tank and I'm setting it up now. Yeah I hope he does too. This is my first betta so I would be heart broken if he didn't pull through. Thanks for the advice.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #32 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Just saw you wrote by the tail somehow i missed that. I though you meant on his head. By the way what is it on his head, did he has it before? I would do water changes. When is last time you did his water change? See if it white something will go away. Is it fuzzy?

The slight lump by his tail is very faint but there. He swims fine and is pretty healthy looking. No upside down swimming or weird swimming. He does stay at the top a lot and barely goes to the bottom. That is not a bump on his head but an unfocused bubble on the surface. I was going to do a 100% water change today. I did a 50% water change on Saturday. His body is clear and fins look great. His color is bright and he is active. The only thing I can think of is constipation or an internal parasite. How would I know though?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #33 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Okay I found something that might be useful its a long shot but some people say that white gravel can be stressful for fish. I saw you had white gravel and it just popped into my mind that awhile back someone had posted asking about that. Here is the link if you want to have a look and I will message Hal about.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....t=white+gravel
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #34 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Okay I found something that might be useful its a long shot but some people say that white gravel can be stressful for fish. I saw you had white gravel and it just popped into my mind that awhile back someone had posted asking about that. Here is the link if you want to have a look and I will message Hal about.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....t=white+gravel
Wow could it be that simple?! I truly hope so!!!! I will see if moving him to the 1 gal will make a difference. I don't have any gravel in there. I might just add his plant for hiding. *fingers crossed*

Question. Should I just change 50% of his water in his tank today let his 1 gal water sit for a day then move him into that 1 gal and see? I'm trying to make it as less stressful for him as possible. Poor thing has had a rough few weeks. I think change is hard on him too. I thought I would ask first.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #35 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Oh you and me both hope it can to be this simple, I just messaged Hal and hope to hear back soon about the white gravel.

About the water change yes I think you should do ahead and do it and in the mean time put water in the new one and try to get it as warm as the water he is in now. Yes keeping it less stressful as possible is a great idea.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #36 
RedRaz

Quote:
Oh you and me both hope it can to be this simple, I just messaged Hal and hope to hear back soon about the white gravel.

About the water change yes I think you should do ahead and do it and in the mean time put water in the new one and try to get it as warm as the water he is in now. Yes keeping it less stressful as possible is a great idea.
Okay that sounds good! Thank you! I'm gonna get his 1 gal tank ready and see if my hubs can pick up a small heater. Would a mini bowl heater work? Aqueon mini heater
Old 09-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #37 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
for 3 weeks that he is not eating if it would be internal parasites he already would be probably severely bloated or lethargic. If it would be external parasites then he would have other symptoms like cover with white spots, lethargic, looks like his body covered with salt.
Is he bloated at all? Is he still active? You saying you have white gravel are you sure poop white and stringy?
White bump on his head i don't know what it is though. Maybe external something....not sure, but really think something is wrong and need to be treated ...

The poop can be stringy, BUT if white, stringy and broken up with the pieces inbetween looking like a very fine almost translucent hair...he will lose weight, and yes even lose the desire to eat. Lethargy, fin clamping etc can also be a sign. Being new it is possible he could have parasites, or even the snail/plants were the culprit. The white bump looks like either a parasite OR an area healing from damage (poked by hard plant will do that) which clean water for a wound is best. AQ salt would be good as it also helps boost his immune system. At this poit I may suggest trying live food if you can, or fasting for 1-3 days to somewhat force him to be hungry. IF it is an internal parasite an anti-parasite med is recommended. I use the Jungle fizz tabs for external/internal parasites with good results.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #38 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
The poop can be stringy, BUT if white, stringy and broken up with the pieces inbetween looking like a very fine almost translucent hair...he will lose weight, and yes even lose the desire to eat. Lethargy, fin clamping etc can also be a sign. Being new it is possible he could have parasites, or even the snail/plants were the culprit. The white bump looks like either a parasite OR an area healing from damage (poked by hard plant will do that) which clean water for a wound is best. AQ salt would be good as it also helps boost his immune system. At this poit I may suggest trying live food if you can, or fasting for 1-3 days to somewhat force him to be hungry. IF it is an internal parasite an anti-parasite med is recommended. I use the Jungle fizz tabs for external/internal parasites with good results.
He has been picky since I bought him. I thought I was gonna lose him the first week but he quickly bounced back but would just not eat. This all happened before the snail and plants. So I'm not sure they brought anything to him. Are you talking about the lump on his lower back by tail? The white dot in the picture is not on him just an unfocused bubble on the surface. His body is clear, fins look good and he acts perfectly normal. The only thing is he hasn't eaten for close to two weeks. Just not interested in any thing I give him. I guess I can try to find live blood worms and see if that works. But couldn't that create parasites with in him as well? I wish he had visible signs so I would know the best way to treat him but nothing on his outside appearance really screams a certain disease. It's very frustrating and stressful because I'm not sure what treatment might make it worse if it is not what he has. I guess that is why I am hesitant right now. Thank you for the advice. AQ salt might work.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #39 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes that heater would be fine...sorry last in answering had to fix some dinner .
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #40 
RedRaz

Quote:
Yes that heater would be fine...sorry last in answering had to fix some dinner .
No worries! Yum din din sounds good. I haven't eaten much today. Well hubs is on his way with a mini heater, thermometer and e salt! Yay! Raz is still staring at the hospital tank curious to what will go there. He makes me laugh. I did his 50% water change and he looks more perky. Let's see what the next few days bring.

I appreciate everyone's help! You all gave me wonderful advice and we *Raz, my hubs and myself* are so very grateful! (((HUGS))) All around! Strength and healing energy if you can spare it. My little guys needs some. I will def keep you all updated on his progress.