Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #51 
ANHEL123

about soaking food. It better not to because it will cause the nutrients and water soluble vitamins to leach out.
Pellets will swell up when you place them in water buy they don't swell up like that in the gut due to the gastric acid and enzymes-they break the food down for digestion...Learn it from Oldfishlady.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #52 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
about soaking food. It better not to because it will cause the nutrients and water soluble vitamins to leach out.
Pellets will swell up when you place them in water buy they don't swell up like that in the gut due to the gastric acid and enzymes-they break the food down for digestion...Learn it from Oldfishlady.
Okay then that research went down the tubes, lol! See that is a prime example of why I come here and ask for others opinions. Sheesh there is so much wrong info out there. Oldfishlady is AWESOME!!! So I should just give him regular pellets. No soaking right? I have Omega One pellets. I hear they are good. I also have New Life Spectrum as well. He has a buffet of choices actually.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #53 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Ok, some of these fishy's are strange, I am now having a similar problem with one of my girls, and I have 2 kinds of food, that she used to eat, with no hesitation, now she takes it in her mouth, starts to chew, and spits it out, watches it fall, chases it, grabs it, and starts to chew, and spits it out again, watches it fall again, trys to get it again, then just lets it go..then she looks for it at the bottom of the tank..never did this before..I am so confused, she readily comes to the top when it's feeding time, but rather "plays" with the food, than eat it..hmmm..and actually has no interest in "swallowing it" goes about her normal swimming, no changes, still very active, but just strange..I have the Omega One, and Hakari Gold, and she is not interested in either one..but she used to love em So I guess I best watch for poo??

Haha this is why Bettas are not just amusing but sometimes a pain! Some of my girls would play with their food if they were legit not hungry or interested. I fast a day of the week, which usually brings some "hunger" back :) I use "tetramin" pellets bcause they are super small compared to the other brands I have. I crush them, just a bit so they are more edible (not that the piggies don't devour the biggest one first anyways ) and I always allow variety (frozen, freeze dried and pellet... Sometimes live aka mealworm meat)

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 09-25-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #54 
RedRaz

Raz in hospital tank.

Update: So far Raz is doing fine in the hospital tank. He is flaring at his twin reflection and showing us his pretty fins. I hope he will eat today. *fingers crossed* I don't keep the tank light on a lot because he will flare the whole time. I don't want to stress him out.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #55 
Sena Hansler

Haha looks like he has some attitude :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #56 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Haha looks like he has some attitude :)
If you only knew. He is such a diva. lol!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #57 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He is so pretty and looks great !!!! Come on Raz stop worrying us and eaaaatttt !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #58 
ANHEL123

I know i check post every day hopping he will start eating soon.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #59 
RedRaz

Update on Raz: He is still not eating. I even thought perhaps he will eat if a pellet is left and goes to the bottom. Nope. I did a water 50% water change and removed the food. *sigh* Maybe I can try the frozen blood worm dipped in garlic juice? Hmm that might be tasty to Raz. I'm doing all I can. I even pretended to eat a pellet in front of him and then said "Yum that is good!" Yes I'm a crazy worried betta mommy. *sigh*
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #60 
RedRaz

Also I'm keeping him in his hospital tank so I can closely observe him. Hopefully I either find out what is wrong or he just starts eating. He is acting spunky and happy though. Flaring and making me laugh. I will keep you all updated on him.