Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #1 
Aluyasha

Question 20g With No Filter?

So yesterday my husband's coworker gave him a tank filled with stuff. Unfortunatly upon further inspection it turns out pretty much everything it came with was broken. :/
So now I have a empty 20 gallon tank. I was just curious, if I got a betta to put in it, could the tank be fine with no filter?
Just curious. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 
kfryman

First off a single fsh in a 20 gallon is a pretty big waste, especially for such a small fish. If you have one yes as the aquarium is big enough to dilute the ammonia, I don't know how many water changes you would need though.

Filters are always best though, they help have better water quality, better circulation, gets milk out of the tank, and you can cycle the tank and have fish. I would personally get an Aquaclear or Fluval C2 from Amazon as it is going to be cheaper and then you can have way more fish.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #3 
Aluyasha

I know just one betta sounds very boring in a 20g but I had one betta in a 15g in the past and I actually really liked it. So I would have no problem having just one fish in there. :)
Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

I had 12 bettas in a 20 with no filter. I did 100% water changes 2X a week though
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #5 
Thunderloon

You could get away with it. A betta needs about 4 cubic inches of sponge filtration running at 20gph. One good plant in a pot filled with a small box of laterite for soil would work finee. I've no idea if you can get single-pot packets of SeaChem Fluorite clay but it'd be a better option, it tends to drift like sand tho.

OFL would tell you just go dig up some clean chemical free dirt and treat it in the oven before using it in the pot. 8)

I kinda agree about a 20 being a little big for one betta, they tend to like large puddle-like spaces.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

I think with sufficient plants, you could easily do it. You would still have to to water changes to replenish the minerals for the plants (and fish!). One way to achieve water movement in a tank like this is to place a heater horizontally near the substrate. Convection currents move water throughout the tank.

Alternatively, that's a great size for a small tropical community. Or even a sorority.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #7 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I think with sufficient plants, you could easily do it. You would still have to to water changes to replenish the minerals for the plants (and fish!). One way to achieve water movement in a tank like this is to place a heater horizontally near the substrate. Convection currents move water throughout the tank.

Alternatively, that's a great size for a small tropical community. Or even a sorority.
I was thinking of just one betta too because I do not have the funds to buy a filter, plus the way the lid is, if I got a filter I would need to also by a new lid. :/
Would any other fish be fine in there with no filter? (Of course I would do water changes)
Old 09-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #8 
kfryman

What is the top? Filters are a must for most tanks again. I wouldnt have a tank with a filter as you an stock it fully and can do normal water changes. If you don't get a filter make a diy sponge fikter and buy an airpump, that way you can have a few more fish.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #9 
Aluyasha

The lid does not go to this tank, it is a Marineland bowfront lid that takes up the whole top of the tank, leaving no room for anything else (besides the little spaces from it being a bow shape on a normal square tank).
Old 09-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #10 
OhNoLenX

I would get a filter and add a few more fish and maybe some ghost shrimp.
OhNoLenX is offline   Reply With Quote