Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

synaesthsia

are there any other synaesthetes here? i've always thought it was weird that i taste colors. literally, when i taste something it triggers a color memory that's almost always NOT the color of what i'm eating. for instance, chocolate tastes white to me, but dark chocolate tastes kinda off-white or eggshell. oranges taste pink, white grapefruits taste an unappealing shade of turquoise (like an unhealthy King betta) anyone else taste colors, or hear images, or anything else like that?
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #2 
djembekah

do you see it in your mind's eye, or do you actually see it, like spread around you?

i sorta like, picture my schedule for the week in a calendar, and the day i'm on seems bigger. Nothing like color things though. Just graphic things, particularly with numbers
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
do you see it in your mind's eye, or do you actually see it, like spread around you?

i sorta like, picture my schedule for the week in a calendar, and the day i'm on seems bigger. Nothing like color things though. Just graphic things, particularly with numbers
neither really...i actually taste it. it's like my taste buds can see. it's hard to explain, i just experience the sensation of taste as a visual phenomenon.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #4 
djembekah

that's really cool! it's intriguing how different every synaesthete is
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #5 
toad

That is SO cool! I loved learning about synesthesia in psychology class; watched a documentary about a guy who tasted words :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #6 
PaintingPintos

I think this counts as Synessomethingorother
When I see bright colors, I instantly get loud ringing in my ears and a huge headache.
However, all noises bother me, ESPECIALLY televisions, which, by the way, are the loudest machines in the WORLD.
That high-pitched ringing they make makes me want to break it xD
I don't really taste or see colors or stuff....
But I definitely have obsessions with numbers, I'm pretty sure I have OCD.
One day I was counting how many crayfish my cousin and I caught in the local creek, and we found 109, but I felt like saying 108, and I basically fell in love with the number.
The moment I thought of it, I felt the most peaceful, loving feeling I've ever felt. I felt like I was literally drifting away on clouds.
Then I Googled it, and as it turns out, 108 is a highly spiritual and religious number involved in many religions.
Seems about right :)

Last edited by Romad; 09-21-2012 at 07:10 AM.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #7 
harleraven

I see music as colours and textures. I don't see all sounds, but musical tones (especially when strung together) show up as distinctively visual things. Unfortunatly, sometimes it leads to find very eccentric music preferences, as a good song might look icky or vice versa. Synesthesia seems to have a hereditary component, so if someone in your family has it, you're more likely to. It's also more common in people that share my learning disability (Dyscalculia).
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote