Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 04:28 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Question gooey plants

Is there anything in particular that causes them to get all gooey? I have some from the same species that are doing great and then I have one or two that the entire plant was all gooey. Not enough light or lacking nutrients of some sort? Sometimes the bottom parts of the floating plants are the same way.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #2 
laoshun

sometimes dirty water can contribute to this, and as you stated not enough nutrients or light can also cause plants to get "gooey" or have a melting effect.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

I keep up with water changes so I dont think my water is dirty. The plants get liquid co2 and api leaf zone. The one that went gooey was supposed to be a low light plant but the others from that bunch are doing fine.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic.....

What species of plant, type of substrate, how planted, what kind of lights, age of bulb, kelvin, watts and location of the plant in regards to the light bulb position. How far is the light from the plant and do you have a partition between the light and plant.
Also, water temp and filter-when you add ferts-is this before or after a water change
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

This generally happens to the bottoms of stem plants because it gets dark at the bottom.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Can you post a pic.....

What species of plant, type of substrate, how planted, what kind of lights, age of bulb, kelvin, watts and location of the plant in regards to the light bulb position. How far is the light from the plant and do you have a partition between the light and plant.
Also, water temp and filter-when you add ferts-is this before or after a water change __________________
Species - Hygrophila corymbosa http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...GIANTHYGRO.htm
substrate - sand
how planted - in the sand...
light - T8
Location - The sickly one is in the back corner. There is a glass aqueon versa top and the light strips sits on top of the hood. I move it from the back to the front after several hours so both the front and back parts of the tank get light
Temp - 78-80
Filter- Aqueon 10 quietflow
Ferts - API leaf something and co2 added after weekly water change
the top of the plant is only a few inches from the light - maybe 4-6 inches?

Could there be something in the water this particular plant does not like? Its supposed to be a low light, easy plant or so the site claimed.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It could be the sand going anaerobic and/or not enough light to support the plant. You might want to move the plant so that it is directly under the light source. Does the plant have any root development...is it the stem that is going gooey-is it turning black....dropping lower leaves...are the top leaves okay..
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote