betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #21 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It's a tubifex, Jully.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #22 
CWolf

Sorry. Gave bad info. I was thinking in terms of water changes. It's actually a 30 -ish liter tank. My bad. Also I have a large-holed mesh net in the middle of the tank that's not big enough for the bettas to swim through so I doubt a fight was what killed him.

I have been thinking of rehousing the loaches since one of them have grown 7cm long. The rest are all 3-5cm though.

I've had a look at some tubifex pics and they do look like it. Where did it come from though? The only worms I've fed the fish with were the freeze dried bloodworms that were in the flakes. BTW the flakes are Nutrafin MAX.

Also I like an over-stocked fish tank as much as you guys, which is to say not at all. All the fish, except loaches and betta, are under 2cm in length so it's really not that crowded.

Last edited by CWolf; 09-20-2012 at 03:18 AM.
CWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #23 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Honestly I don't get where they come from. Maybe eggs in the tap, that's what I've always thought (yummmm). Just clean out the gravel really well next time, there might be more in there. (don't rinse it, stir it up in the tank or something).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #24 
LizzyP

As for the OP: it's not so much size I'm worried about, it's ammonia levels. Have you tested it lately? If so what are your results? I'm sorry about your fish, but two male bettas CANNOT be housed together, especially in that size tank.

Last edited by Sakura8; 09-20-2012 at 11:06 AM.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #25 
SpookyTooth

I'm sorry for your loss, it's never easy losing a beloved animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWolf View Post
Also I like an over-stocked fish tank as much as you guys, which is to say not at all. All the fish, except loaches and betta, are under 2cm in length so it's really not that crowded.

As others have highlighted, your aquarium is rather overstocked. Whether 15 litres or 30 litres (4ish gallons or 8ish gallons) the majority of your fish would be happier and healthier in larger accomodation. The number of animals an aquarium can handle isn't so much in the length of each individual occupant but rather the amount of waste they produce and their activity level, schools also have to be considered if the fish species is one that likes to live in a group -- not to mention feeding habits.

In an aquarium of 30 litres I would say your other betta and the amano shrimp could live happily without any issues (when provided with regular maintenance) but the platys, zebras, glass fish (glass catfish by chance?) and loaches could all do with being in larger homes. I know that this will not account for the mystery of your worm (though I'm glad to see it's been identified) it may have contributed to your betta's passing and may also contribute to future deaths if something isn't done soon. Large numbers of fish in a small body of water will cause vast amounts of ammonia to be produced (again, this varies depending on species present) and you may find as time goes by your nitrifying bacteria simply can't keep up. You can only have so much bacteria in one tank and it may end up just not being enough.

All fish are sensitive to changes in their water chemistry, some more than others. Glass catfish are a prime example of this and can die very quickly if something goes wrong -- luckily you'll be able to tell if something is starting to go wrong as similarily to ghost shrimp your glass fish will turn less transparent and become a white colour, I just don't want it to get to that stage for both your sake and the fishes'.

If you are at all able to rehome or upgrade the other fish into other aquariums (I imagine they could all live peacefully if kept in larger quarters with an appropriate filtration system, fully cycled) that would be superb but I understand that sometimes we're in a fix and struggle to house things bought for whatever reason (whether it be lack of knowledge on fish store staff's part, impulse buying or a myriad of other reasons). If you struggle, you may be able to get away with temporarily keeping the platys with the betta and shrimp -- not something I'm usually recommend due to the platys' activity levels and bright colours but if you can compromise and monitor your fish carefully you should be able to avoid any more deaths.

May I ask how long these animals have lived together? I know that sometimes fish can get along wonderfully (or seemingly wonderfully) for a while then suddenly snap and things start going wrong, I also know that stressed, unhappy or unhealthy fish can coexist simply because they are too stressed, unhappy or unhealthy to do anything about it.

I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well in future.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #26 
Sakura8

I think it is more likely some kind of nematode. Tubifex only grow in polluted waters such as sewers, which is one of the reasons why feeding live tubifex is discouraged - they're chock full of disease. It would seem that upon the betta's death, a nematode crawled out in search of a new host. This could possibly be an adult camallanus worm, although I haven't seen one get that big before.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #27 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think that's bloodworms? Hmm.
I've seen a few aquariums with tubifex, always overstocked, if the gravel is dirty they'd be there. It looks just like tubifex, are there red nematoda?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #28 
Sakura8

Camallanus are red. Could be a bloodworm. If it is a tubifex, I'm not sure how it got in there unless via live feeding or perhaps on the roots of a plant.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #29 
sunlight

sorry for your loss:(
I am wondering what is the next step. Should she clean whole tank? Rinse everything in the tank?How to make sure it will not happen again? How to clean the filter? And i am wondering if you ever wash your filter? You need to wash your filter regularly and vacuum the gravel regularly. Watch fish make sure not symptoms will develop. I personally would do 100% water change.

And sorry for saying it just one more reason that i hate to cycle i love 100% water changes which removes all debris from the bottom of the tank which not possible to do with vacuuming. But i understand you can't do it for big tanks though.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #30 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Don't camallanus infect fish?
Posted via Mobile Device