Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #21 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post

The only thing I really wonder about is your betta might not get enough attention while you're gone. These fish actually interact with humans a lot, and I think they can actually miss you when you're gone. I think someone here said that her fish would start biting his tail anytime she went away for more than a couple of days. But every betta is different, so yours might not have a problem. It would also help if your roommate could spend some time with your fish for a little while each day while you're gone or even just sits by his tank while your roommate watches TV or uses the computer or something.

I have to agree with them missing you while you are gone. I was recently gone for 4 days, and although I had my mom come to my house and feed her, my fish didn't seem very excited to see my mom. When I got home, my fish practically burst through her tank with overwhelming excitement. It took her quite a while to calm down, but I was happy to know that she missed me.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #22 
FlyingFish47

That's cute! Well, as I said, my housemate has agreed to be co-owner and since we will be taking turns to feed him then I guess he will get to know us both as his human??

I put him in the tank about 10mins ago since the other fish are doing fine, he is swimming around exploring, but, I think the filter may be too strong as he kind of got stuck to it. Anything I can do to DIY it to reduce the flow in/out? (I turned it down low but since he has long fins....)

I was worried the smaller fish might harass him but so far he seems to be doing all the bossing! :P I will keep an eye o it and if it goes on too long I will separate them. But for now I think it is normal "settling in". They have a hollow log to hide in, anyway...
FlyingFish47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #23 
Laki

Load up the tank with plants and you'll have a wonderful environment :) I cannot wait to see pics!! I think it's a wonderful choice. The 8g is perfect for a betta. The only reason they "need more water changes" is in part due to the myth that bettas need small tanks. If it has a filter you can clean it 40-50% once a week until it cycles. Once it's cycled a 30-40% change a week will suffice.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #24 
FlyingFish47

So he's been in there for about 8 hours now, seems to be okay so far. At first this morning he was hiding in back behind all the plants but now I've been sitting on the sofa opposite the tank he is doing laps. 'On patrol' lol. Up to the top back corner near the heater, swim through the gap, down to the orange anemone, around the side, into the hollow log, out the hole, under the brdge, back to the anemone, repeat :P

Hope it's normal "settling in" and not a sign he is bored or unhappy.... :/

The other fish are minding their own business now and pretty much ignoring him, and same for him! I guess they have gotten used to each other. Tried to get pics but is hard to get a clear one.

In the store we thought he was a blue/grey colour but this morning he is actually purple!!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #25 
FlyingFish47

Some pics here:

Mini - 8 gallon Freshwater fish tank
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #26 
Laki

He looks very pretty :)
Glad he colored up for you! A lot do when they're saved from their poison water at the store. Did you name him yet?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #27 
FlyingFish47

Not yet, want to give him a chance to show us his personality first...

He's stopped hispatrol now and is just hanging out behind the anemone. He sticks his head out when I come up near the tank but won't come to the front like he was doing before. I hope he's not scared or anything...

Oh wait, as I type he just swam up to the surface for a breath. I know that's normal for a labyrinth fish, but how often should he be doing that? Seems about every 20min or so. He looks pretty when he swims up :) But right back down behind the anemone again. He seems to prefer going up to where the airstone bubbles are hitting the top..

As for name, if I named him for looks, I was thinking either Perry (short for Periwinkle which is a purple flower) or maybe Helios (short for Heliotrope, also a plant with purple flowers) but I'm not sure yet...

Last edited by FlyingFish47; 10-04-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #28 
Laki

He is getting used to you, which is why he is hiding. It can take some time. He is probably very unused to being in an actual tank with other fish and someone who cares about him!
Give him some time and he will soon never hide, I don't keep caves in my tank because neither fish ever wants to hide on me! lol
Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #29 
FlyingFish47

Oh good, so it's normal then!!

I have an LED light with blue and white bulbs, I put the blue ones for a bit in case he'd like it, when I put the white he went a bit crazy, swimming up and down... looked like he was 'surfing' the airstone. Can't tell if it was good crazy or bad crazy, so I switched off the light... he's gone back behind the anemone. But now he does come out to look at me if I go up to the tank, and every so often is swimming around a bit. So i think he is getting used to his new home :)

The tetras are having a fine time chasing each other around. They seem to hang out at the front, so I guess they have staked out that as their territory and Betta has chosen the log and airstone...