Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #1 
crowntaillove

question about how all the tail types came to be....

(This is my best guess as to where this thread should be located, sorry if I'm wrong.)

I've been wondering for a while now how exactly the tail types came to be. I'm assuming veiltails were first, but I know you can't just go over to Thailand and dip your net in the rice paddys and pull out one these guys. Wild bettas are short finned, correct? So how exactly did the bettas we know and love today come to be? Lots of mutations, I'm sure, but does anyone have a detailed explinantion?

Also, I've been wondering how you can "create" a tail type such as a halfmoon or a crowntail, from the first betta tail type (veiltail?)
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

when breeding them, occasionally an unusual mutation (tail shape, scale type, color pattern etc) crops up in a spawn. you breed two fish with that particular mutation, then cross their spawn with similarly mutated fish, and selectively cultivate the trait, choosing the fish that best represent the trait to continue the genetic tradition.

it's kind of like evolution in fast-forward.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

read bettysplenden.com ; Betta Splendens - Half Moon, Double Tail, Crown Tail Bettas - Welcome
and bettaterritory - all about betta section ; AAB

In short, the VT was a mutation from the PK which was then bred for long their fins.
As best as I can remember, the first "modern" fin type was the HM which was created from wide VT. I'm guessing they kept crossing VT to DT and kept breeding the widest fin spread until the mutation appeared.

Most bettas carries CT gene to a certain extent. This can be viewed from the spikes at the end of the fins. In my area they are call "the gear effect". Some of you call them comb tails. These were constantly bred to then create the CT mutation.

Later breeders crossed HM to PK (and other fin types) and created the so called HMPK. Initially this was done mainly to thicken the HM's fins. But eventually HMPK became popular and was accepted in the IBC.
I don't exactly remember the details.

And if' you're wondering about modern colors - metallic and dragon; they are results from crossing splendens to mahachai and smaragdina (wild type) which increased the metallic color.

Btw, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by indjo; 09-08-2012 at 01:16 AM.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #4 
harleraven

I find it amazing that they can cross the wild fish so easily. They must not be extremely delineated species if they can hybridize so readily. I read somewhere that the bettas we have were originally hybrids, anyway, but I am not sure if that is correct or not. Perhaps it was meant to say they are now hybrids, since other species have been bred in to add new colours.
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

The wild species smaragdina, mahachai and imbellis are in the same complex as splendens, so it is easy for them to hybridise. The way these species spawn and care for their young is basically identical to that of splendens.

Personally as a breeder of wilds I like to see these species kept pure since nowadays a pure wild splendens is next to impossible to find due to hybridisation.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #6 
crowntaillove

oh, well that's neat. so whos to say there aren't more tail types yet to be created! :]
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #7 
Mahachai

From what I know, bettas were inbred with their siblings, parents, grandparents, cousins, etc... to keep a certain trait's existence. Because a betta's DNA is not very complex, it's easier to inbreed generations of bettas without any complications. When creating a new strain, it'll require a lot time and dedication and even different types of betta species to create what you really want.
Veiltail bettas existed a long time ago and their VT gene is stable because if you breed it with a plakat or a halfmoon, you'll get all VTs and maybe one or two plakats and zero HMs. So trying to recreate HMs and CTs by just using veiltails would result in 100% VT offsprings.
I believe it's possible to recreate halfmoons and crown-tails with VTs and different bettas. But there will too much trial and errors and cost thousands of betta lives.
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

i've been wondering if it'd be possible to breed a PK with a VT tail, and then slowly extend the tail length to form a ribbon tail betta.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote