Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #1 
cataze

Exclamation Sick Betta! AQ or Epsom Salt???

I've had Yuki for almost 2 months now. Until recently, he was perfectly healthy.

A couple of weeks ago, I cupped him to clean his 3G tank. When I put him back in, half his tail fin was gone! I kept an eye on it, and did 50% WCs every other day, with a full 100% WC on the 6th day to make sure he didn't get an infection where he nommed on his tail.

A couple of days ago, he started acting a little lethargic. He was still eating and pooping fine and his fin looked okay, so I just continued on with his WCs.

Today, he has red along the edge of his tail fin. (Is that blood or infection). He's even more lethargic, lying on the bottom of the tank breathing hard. He only moves to go to the top for a gulp of air, and then heads straight back down to the bottom again. And at times when he swims to the top, he zips around the tank a bit...like he's darting around.

I can't see anything else on him. He's white, so I can't see if there are white dots.

I want to start him on something. Since I have no idea what is going on, what type of salt would be a better all-around emergency treatment???

I should also mention that my last betta died after something similar started. But this betta is in a new tank, with a new heater, new thermometer, plants, etc. The only thing in common between my last betta and Yuki is the bottle of Prime and the container of NLS pellets.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!

Housing

What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80-81F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times per day, 2 pellets...sometimes 3

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Normally, 1 50% and 1 100T WC weekly, but lately 2 to 3 50% and one 100% WC per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime Dechlorinator

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's lethargic, lies on the bottom of the tank, won't eat, has red on the edge of his tail fin where he's chewed, occasionally darts around the tank, but only for a couple of seconds before he lies back down. I think his colour is slightly less white and has a tinge of...i don't know. he's just not has pure white as he was.
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #2 
RabidAliver

I'd say use the AQ salt.

Edit: My bad, I missed that you knew it was tailbiting! Also sounds like it may be infected ):

Last edited by RabidAliver; 09-19-2012 at 06:08 PM.
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #3 
cataze

So all of those symptoms can point to fin rot?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #4 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataze View Post
So all of those symptoms can point to fin rot?
The biting and then turning red like it's bloody, that sounds like infected fin rot =/

However even though the "bloody" fins make me want to say use AQ salt, the rest of his body looking red makes me want to say epsom since it seems like it may be something internal.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #5 
cataze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidAliver View Post
The biting and then turning red like it's bloody, that sounds like infected fin rot =/

However even though the "bloody" fins make me want to say use AQ salt, the rest of his body looking red makes me want to say epsom since it seems like it may be something internal.
No, only the edges of his tail fin is red. His body doesn't appear to have anything going on...he's just not as bright white as he usually is. Maybe that's just him looking pale from being sick....not sure.

I'm going to start him on AQ salt. 1 tsp per gallon?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #6 
cataze

Quote:

No, only the edges of his tail fin is red. His body doesn't appear to have anything going on...he's just not as bright white as he usually is. Maybe that's just him looking pale from being sick....not sure.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #7 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataze View Post

Oooh, you made it seem like all of him was turning red but I may have misread that XD But yeah, start him on the AQ salt, and I'd say at 1/2 tsp. per gallon really ^^; (going by the measurement on my aq salt directions)
Old 09-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #8 
cataze

Quote:
Oooh, you made it seem like all of him was turning red but I may have misread that XD But yeah, start him on the AQ salt, and I'd say at 1/2 tsp. per gallon really ^^; (going by the measurement on my aq salt directions)
Sorry! I was so frantic when I was typing out my message that I think I worded it in confusing way....

So, I did a 95% WC (he was so stressed I didn't want to stress him even more by cupping him...he really hates that cup!), and put fresh, dechlorinated water with 1tsp AQ salt per gallon...that's the dose I read that OFL recommends.

I raised temp a bit...it's usually around 80F-80.5F. I put it up to 81F or so.

He's still laying on the bottom breathing heavily, but he was very active and curious during the water change.

I'm hoping it's something that he can recover from. I've grown so attached to him.

Thanks for all your help...I'll post an update tomorrow.

Cate
Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #9 
RabidAliver

You're very welcome, I hope he recovers! It always sucks to worry about if your pet will make it through the night or not ):
Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #10 
cataze

Okay, I treated Yuki with the AQ Salt. It didn't see to do much. He's only eaten one pellet in the last week.

I've been changing his water daily, adding AQ salt at each change until the 10 days were up.

His fins had started to look worse and he was still lying on the bottom of the tank with laboured breathing, so I thought it was time to try some medication. The only thing my LPS had was Erythromycin, so I got it and started him on it. Today is his last day on the treatment.

His fins are looking better. The red had gone black and seemed to be spreading, but now there is just a little red on the edges of his fins.

However, he is still lying on the bottom of the tank breathing heavily, won't eat and now there's a new problem...he seems to be listing to one side when he lies on the bottom. And sometimes when he goes up for air and comes back down, he doesn't like down completely...his backend kind of stays floating up a bit.

Has he started a swim bladder issue now???

I don't know what to do!!! I don't want to give up, but I don't know what the next step is!

I would appreciate any help....I'm desperate to help my little guy!