Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #11 
LittleFish2012

They aren't huge on bettas like we are. Truthfully, they do tend to overfeed him and change his tank once a month. Thats a fright- I change mine weekly.
But for him, I'm going to try to change his water every other day, 75%. I don't want to stress him out too much.
I'm doing my research and it sounds like the top three medication canditates are Maracyn-Two, Tetracycline, and Kanamycin. I'm thinking of purchasing Kanamycin hopefully from the store tomorrow. I hope that if I use it along with the epsom salt, it'll do him some good.
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #12 
DeviCy

They shouldn't have a fish then if they are not big on Bettas honestly if you can't care for the animal don't have one.
DeviCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #13 
LittleFish2012

I know. They believe in the stereotypical betta fish. They dont realize that these fish have specific needs that need to be met in order to stay healthy and thrive. I've tried to explain it...
Truthfully, I think her kids wanted the fish because they babysat mine a few times while I was away. They had three others in addition to Charles. One died (shock after sudden water change), and Charles is sick with dropsy. :(
Old 09-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #14 
Luimeril

honestly, i'd hold off on meds, see if the other treatments work first. i had a betta with Dropsy. it's not pretty, and is honestly downright creepy to look at.

this was Medic. compare how she looks, to your boy. she almost looked normal from the side.

see the way her whole body is pine-coned? THAT. is dropsy. your boy has raised scales only around his belly, yeah? that's kinda normal for bloat as bad as his. that's why i, personally, would try fasting and epsom salt first, then medicate if it doesn't help any.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #15 
LittleFish2012

His body is pineconed a lot like your fish in the picture. Its not just his belly, its his whole body. But his belly is really swollen.
I can hold off on the meds, and I'm keeping him in the epsom salts. Fasting shouldn't be a problem.

I have a picture from the same view. They look kinda similar to me...
And actually I just noticed that in the light, I can kinda see through his belly! Is that normal for bloating??
I really hope its not dropsy...
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #16 
Luimeril

mmm... he looks worse from up top. ;n; i've just never seen dropsy do that before. :I but, either way, espon salt should help even the dropsy, since it pulls water from the body, i think it was?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #17 
LittleFish2012

Yeah, that makes sense.
He actually looks worse today than he did yesterday... it looks like his stomach is gonna explode.
:/ You don't suppose he can be cured, do you? I've been hearing a lot of mixed responses. I know dropsy is fatal, but I don't know if its too late for him.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #18 
Luimeril

it's worth a shot, imo. treating him won't hurt anything. i did my gal, even though everyone on here was telling me it wouldn't work. she was happy and active until the day she passed.

take the rocks out of his tank. that way, you can see if he's pooping at all. if he is, you know it's not constipation.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #19 
DeviCy

When my betta had dropsy he had the bloated belly as well it could be caused by something else or maybe just one possible side effect of dropsy. Once my boy reached that stage it was only inevitable for him to die I hope he pulls through but wouldn't be surprised if he didn't
DeviCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #20 
LittleFish2012

Yeah. Looks like I'll hope for the best but plan for the worst.
Was this contageous to any of your other fish? Thats my second big concern.

Tags
dropsy, dying fish, sick fish