Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #21 
DeviCy

If its parasite caused then yes I would keep any sick fish away from others no matter what.
DeviCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #22 
LittleFish2012

Then I should be extra careful about cross-contaminating them. I don't know what caused the dropsy.
Thank you! :)
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #23 
DeviCy

Your welcome good luck with the fish I hope he lives.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #24 
Shirleythebetta

I have heard of dropsy happening in sorority's where only one got it. Then again I have heard of it happening where several in the sorority got it. Some say it's highly contagious and others say it's barely contagious. I want to study it more now...
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #25 
DeviCy

After she corrected me I researched it more and dropsy itself is organ failure the bloating is their swim bladder going. It can be caused by so many different things though that its best to isolate the fish and be careful to not cross contaminate.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #26 
Shirleythebetta

Hmm, okay good. So I wonder what makes some cases more contagious than others.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #27 
DeviCy

Well bacteria versus old age causing it for instance I suppose.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #28 
Shirleythebetta

That makes sense. Thanks. I had a girl pass from this too. She was in my sorority so I was curious had her two weeks
Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #29 
Sakura8

Dropsy can be caused by many things. It can even be localized in one spot of the body and not an all over bloat. It is a symptom of an internal infection and organs shutting down, most often the kidneys. When organs start to malfunction, fluid builds up in the body and pushes the scales outward, causing that pinecone effect. Dropsy can even be present in an old fish who, aside from reaching the end of his natural lifespan, is otherwise healthy.

The thing with parasites is this: all fish have a certain amount of parasites in and on their bodies. A healthy fish is strong enough to keep these parasites from becoming an infestation but a stressed fish with a compromised immune system isn't strong enough to fight them off and that's when they become a problem. Since this guy was kept in rotten water conditions, it makes sense that he wouldn't be strong enough to fight anything off.

I still recommend 3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon to help keep the swelling down. If you have any Indian Almond Leaf or naturally dried oak leaves, I recommend those as a tannin source. Medication is optional but if you do decide to medicate I would suggest either API General Cure or API Furan-2.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #30 
LittleFish2012

In case anyone was wondering about the outcome, here it is.

Charles is still ALIVE. I managed to stop his scales from pineconing, but his bloated belly is not going away. He's definitely terminal, but is not suffering.

So, as I said, he does not belong to me- he's my neighbor's. I offered him back to them and explained that they'd have to take care of him and continue to heat his tank and medicate his water (to further keep him comfortable). They didn't want to deal with that. I think poor Charles just got abandonded...
Though I don't know if that means I've adopted him or not. :/

But I would like to thank everyone for their help in this matter. :) I really appreciate it, and I'll continue to care for Charles.
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dropsy, dying fish, sick fish