Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Cycle: How Much Longer?

I am chomping on the it to get my two cherry shrimp and I am chomping on the bit. I tested the water today and this is what I got. How much longer until it will be fully cycled and shrimp friendly?

Ammonia: 0.50
PH: 7.6
Nitrate: 5.0
Temp: 80

No live plants yet but I'm working on it and no official shrimp hide outs but I think I found one at wallmart I'll investigate if it will fit.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How big is the tank, how long has it been cycling, what is the ammonia source, type of filter, type of additives used, what kind of testing kit and what is the nitrite....

What are the numbers on your source water too....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

5gal
about 2 weeks
In fish cycling so the fish and the food he leaves behind though I am being more picky about picking up food he hasn't eaten so he won't be stuck in a hell hole of ammonia.
Mini Might Power Filter
Aditives in the water is just 6 drops of API water conditioner, was going to buy stress coat but I don't need that for Aquarius only a rescue if ever I get one or if Aquarius gets sick.
I have the API test kit too
Nitrate as I said levels out at 5.0 on the scale currently.
Base numbers on my tap water I don't know, I didn't have the test kit when I started using the tap water.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It can take up to 6 weeks to establish the nitrogen cycle.....

You should have test for-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH....you didn't list the nitrite...The nitrIte and nitrAte are two different test-

Be sure and shake, bang on the table and shake some more on the #2 nitrate reagent bottle-it tends to settle and will give false reading-also follow the direction to the "T" on all test-especially shaking between drops, number of drops and reading results....

You need to run a base line on your source water-without any additive- for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH-this will tell you if any number in the tank are skewed due to the source water itself
Then run another test on the source water with the additive to tell you if the additives are causing any changes.

While doing the fish-in cycle in a 5gal filtered tank without live plants-test water daily and make 50% water ONLY based on test results of ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater. The water only based on test result will be over and above your regular weekly with vacuum you should be doing.

Read this-
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

Ah Nitrite was actually what I think they were sold out of when I picked up my test kit unfortunately. I have to order it in and not sure when it is getting to my house.

Also I have been vacuuming both days I change water every week. Will that actually slow the bb's growth? I just really hate floating things in the water and try to get it mostly all out at least.