Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #1 
marktrc

what can i use instead of driftwood?

Was looking to start a 55gal with sand. Planned to make all of my live plants stuck or tied to driftwood. I see mopani wood from petco is near $50 for a large piece. I'd probably need more then one.

What are some inexpensive options to tie down plants to. I'm thinking that if I am successful you will not be able to see the anchor after the plants grow. I was thinking maybe I could buy PVC pipes and drill holes in them? I don't know. Anyone with ideas? Ill probably buy one piece of mopani for the tannins.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I collect my own hardwood from my forest.....I look for as naturally dry and debarked as I can find. I scrub it, use a spoon on the soft spots and dig out-Some I will leave outside in a bucket of water until water logged and some I have tied/taped large rock to so they will stay underwater.

You can tie plants to just about anything.....get creative.....I like the PVC idea....just make sure it is for water and not sewage since it might contain the antifungal/mold stuff that can kill fish
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #3 
marktrc

Do you think I could walk down the beach and use any driftwood I find or is there a danger of using a poisonous wood?

Is there such a thing as poison driftwood?
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #4 
12thletter

I think some wood has sap and what not that can harm fish.
12thletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

If it is totally dried it usually will be fine....but you do want to avoid cedar, pine, asp type wood and some vines due to the sap that can ooze forever. You want hardwoods...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote