Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #1 
kc0vbl

Filter review from a noob

When I first got my tank I asked for suggestions on filter. Everyone was very helpful. I ended up ordering both the Azoo and the Fluval. I gotta say the Azoo is the better filter. It is quieter, cleans faster, and easy to work with. Because the tank I got had a lid that did not have an opening for an external filter, we did cut out a space for it and it fits great!

I absolutely hated the Fluval for my small tank (3.5 g) as it took up too much room and I certainly did not want to take it out every time I wanted to change/clean the medium. It also did not seem to keep the water very clear. I do have a 10g tank that I might set up and use the Fluval with (it is rated up to 15g) so it might be easier to deal with in a larger tank. It is also pretty quite and I did like the adjustable water flow (which the Azoo also has).

I bought extra foam pads and a bag of medium for both filters. The ones that come with the Azoo are kinda cheap, but I cut them an made a layer on the bottom of the filter and put a bag of medium on the top. I also then put a fine pad in between the medium/pad and the outflow to help filter out any particles that might have gotten through.

There was a great youtube video that helped me set up the Azoo as it is not well documented. I was not quite sure on how to set up the bag of medium. I think the guy is called asianfishguy. The medium video was from another poster, dont remember the name. But if you search for it, it should come up.

I also got a small under the grave heater that was not highly recommended (ordered before I got that post). It is also working great. Keeps the temp pretty consistent at 82 degrees. I also got a little digital thermometer to go with the heater. It is pretty spot on as I have checked with a inferred thermometer to compare.

Finally, and I am sure I will get flamed for this to no end, my tank was divided with Romeo on one side and Juliet on the other. Almost every day I had to get one of them because they kept jumping over the divider. So I just took the darn thing out and the two have been living together for about 2 weeks now with no problem. No fin nipping, fighting, and just the occasional small chase like any other fish. I have added more plants and a rock hideout since I removed the divider so Juliet could hid if she wanted to. But they usually just hang out together in peace. As I have learned with my skinny pigs, not all act the way that is the norm. I certainly will still keep an eye on them as I do not want anything to happen, but so far so good. They seem happier together. BTW - I am not trying to mate them. There has not been any nest building. Do fish go into 'season'?

I will post photos of the new tank/filter setup. I just love my little fish and they are great to watch.
kc0vbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #2 
registereduser

from what I can tell by browsing breeding threads, some fish can't or won't ever mate, maybe you've got a "dud"
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #3 
BettaNoob13

I am in need if a new filter. Im kind of new here but I thought this would be a good first post. My sisters fish just passed on after it looks to have gotten sucked into the filter and couldn't swim out. I want a filter that has little auction and low flow because the one that came with the 2.5 gallin tank we bought killed her fish. O don't want my fish to end up the same way!

If this filter fits the job, could you link it please? I love my fish and would hate for it to die that way.
BettaNoob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #4 
kc0vbl

That would be fine with me! :)
Old 09-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #5 
kc0vbl

Here is the link to the filter on Dr. Fosters and Smiths. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9821
That is where I got mine. In the video from asianfishdude he took some fish foam and wraped it around the intake with a rubber band. I think he had shrimp in his. I am so sorry to hear about your sisters fish. It is heartbreaking to lose a pet. :(
Old 09-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #6 
kc0vbl

Here is the heating I got: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=24992

And the thermometer: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&pcatid=12089

Updated photos on my profile.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #7 
jag14

The azoo does work well, and is inexpensive also. In my big tank at home, I believe in overfiltration. I use 2 emporer 400 on a 75! However these little guys do better with a much lower flow rate. I also lost my first betta to a too powerful whisper internal filter. Dr Foster and Smith is a really good site for pet supplies.
jag14 is offline   Reply With Quote