Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #1 
Enkil

Night Dancing and More

So I've decided to keep a journal here of Hannibal's activities/antics. Any other betta we get will take part in this as well.

I have trouble sleeping. Last night was especially difficult. So I didn't want the other half up (he had an eye appointment today and then had to go straight to work), I sat up. Doing so put me next to Hannibal's tank. His 3.5 gallon is on the table next to our bed. Well, once Hannibal took notice of me, he started to dance. It was so cute! He danced up a storm. He took a break at one point. Using his plastic hairgrass plant to prop himself up against the side of the tank, he watched me. After a short rest like that, he started dancing again! Now, this is the first time that Hannibal has danced in the 9 days that we've had him. He danced so long in such pretty patterns... He put me to sleep!

Now he's lurking about his tank as though it never happened. Silly boy is acting like his name today.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #2 
Enkil

I think our Hannibal may need a name change...

He has spent the day dancing for me. All over his 3.5 gallon tank. He's even shimmering his tail and doing a circle around his hairgrass plant. To top it all off, in the time that we have had him and at the store... Hannibal does not flare. Not even at other male bettas. Not at his own reflection.
Other than his biting incident (got me quite a few times) and how he eats... A few looks he gives... His name just doesn't seem to fit now...
Though he does keep stopping and giving me that "Hello, Clarice." look... >>;
Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #3 
Enkil

The last couple of days have been rather eventful...

Hannibal had me quite worried all of yesterday. He seemed to be having difficulty closing his gills properly. Also had an odd white spot on his tail. He was hiding under his heater quite a bit and was choosing that as his resting spot. Not at all usual for our spunky little guy. After some very close watching, I also noted that he was a little bloated.

After my shower last night, I sat on the bed and watched him closely. His bloating had gone away. This surprised me quite a bit. He also was back to swimming about his 3.5 gallon tank as though he hadn't a care in the world. I decided to fast him just in case though.

Today everything is oddly back to normal. He's behaving like himself again, using his hairgrass plant to rest. He's quite the active boy and doesn't usually hide much. He's even back to dancing for me today. Still no luck with pellets but he had no trouble with blood worms like he did Tues night.

Also got to deal with a flooding garage today. -_-
Devon had to come home from work for a while to help out with that. Thank goodness Mary opened the door that goes out to the garage and noticed! I have things out there of mine and Kacey's. It would have been horrid to loose them.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #4 
Enkil

Hannibal seems quite happy today.

He's been playing in his plant today. Weaves in and out of it very delicately. He's adorable when he does this as he usually shimmies his tail. He likes to shimmy over to the side when he sees me. Watches me for a moment and then dances about. It's like having a puppy who is happy to see you.

His fins:
His dorsal is growing back so nicely! A good portion of it was completely gone when we bought him at Petsmart. Now that portion is about half as long as the rest of his dorsal. We've only had him 12 days today. That his dorsal has grown back so much so quickly surprises me with what a picky eater he is.
He also has new growth with his anal fin. When we bought him, I hadn't even noticed that any of it was missing. Not much was gone, just a little near his tail. That has grown back beautifully.

Antics so far today:
He is trying to eat his reflection. XD No flaring still though. Just trying to eat his reflection. If he's still doing this later, I'm going to take a video of it. Wish he would flare for me, but he still wont. Maybe one day he will. Until then, I'm quite content watching him be himself.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #5 
Enkil

Well, I have now figured out where Hannibal is hiding his going to the bathroom! He hides in his hairgrass plant to go! XD Going to have to remove it to give it a very thorough scrubbing.

He has also been doing a few odd things today.. He is dancing again, but not either of his usual dances. He had 2 before this. One was his "Oh my gosh! Feed me!" dance... The other he would just dance for me to get my attention.
This dance.. Well, this dancing is very different. He'll come near the side of his tank, do this little dance, then go off up in a corner and try to make a little bubble nest. o_O What on earth is our Hannibal up to?

In other, non fishy news...
My daughter is growing up too fast. T_T She's 4 now and so very independent. She no longer wants/needs my help for much of anything. Picks out her own clothes (which she does very well at). Gets herself dressed. Informs us when it is breakfast/lunch/dinner (almost always spot on) with a "Mommy/Daddy, I'm hungry. I think it breakfast/lunch/dinner time." She also puts herself to bed. My baby is growing up. T_T So fast.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #6 
Enkil

Oh! Hannibal finally flared! This is the first time he has flared for us, Wouldn't even flare at the store. I guess he was having an argument with his reflection on the side of his stank. He looked so pretty! I wish I had a camera handy!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #7 
Sakura8

He goes in the bushes to do his business. He's surprisingly modest for a fish. Some of mine swim around with it dangling off for over an hour before it finally drops.

I love the wiggle dance. If I could start over, I'd name all my bettas old disco names. :D
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #8 
Enkil

Indeed. ^_^ I just caught him coming out of his hairgrass. >> Didn't expect he'd be so chipper or modest when I named him. After all.. He bit me when I put him in his tank. -_-

I really don't understand this new wiggle of his. Not sure what is triggering it. It's almost like a mating dance. o_O He is a rather confusing little betta. Never know what he'll do next.

He hasn't flared since that one time earlier. -_- He just HAD to do it when I had no camera! Ugh. Silly fish. Silly, stubborn fish.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #9 
Sakura8

He bit you when you put him in? What a little snot. :)

The wiggle dance is something most bettas do to express excitement. Mostly, it means "Feed me! Feed me! Feed me!" :D It's one of my favorite betta behaviors, haha. Of course, if I fed mine every single time they wiggled, they'd be blimps by now.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #10 
Enkil

Oh, he did indeed. That's how he got his name. XD Getting him from his nasty cup to his nice clean tank, he bit me a total of 5 times. Not the first time a betta male has bitten me, but the most I have ever been bit by any pet.

I wonder of this new wiggle of his. His "Oh! Feed me! Feed me! I'm pretty, feed me!" dance is a one of a kind really. Involves me seeing his "empty" tummy and shimmering his tail at me.
His "Oh! You're looking at me!" wiggle is adorable. He does this one mainly at night or when I sit to watch him for a cheer-me-up moment. This one uses his entire tank. Elegant movements and shimmying his entire body.
This new wiggle... He'll zoom over to me and wiggle to get my attention. Then he goes to one corner and blows a couple bubbles. The filter is defeated him in his quest of a bubble nest.
--------

He still hasn't flared again. Silly thing. Right now, however, he is "fighting" his tank reflection. He will do this off and on all day lately. Not sure why he does this or that it gives him any satisfaction... But it seems like a new hobby for him. He does still use his filter as a fishy treadmill. Maybe this is just his new form of exorcising.

He's looking so healthy and vibrant now. I keep thinking that he can't get brighter but he does. I have noticed something with his fins though... The ends are spikey. I'm not sure why this is. This is just how his fins grow. Even new growth. Really not sure why this is, but he's still gorgeous.