Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

Moss tends to collect a lot of detritus, but all I do with my java moss (mine just floats around in my tanks) is just give it a swish around in some clean water when I do my water changes.

I like java moss since it is low maintenance, slow-growing (which equals less maintenance also) and doesn't need any special fertilisers or lights to do well. Plus my fish enjoy hiding in it and swimming through it.

It all comes down to personal preference in the end. I don't think a betta can tell the difference between a silk plant and a live plant and I don't think they care either way.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #12 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Moss tends to collect a lot of detritus, but all I do with my java moss (mine just floats around in my tanks) is just give it a swish around in some clean water when I do my water changes.

I like java moss since it is low maintenance, slow-growing (which equals less maintenance also) and doesn't need any special fertilisers or lights to do well. Plus my fish enjoy hiding in it and swimming through it.

It all comes down to personal preference in the end. I don't think a betta can tell the difference between a silk plant and a live plant and I don't think they care either way.
I agree.... Are any of the plants on my list incredibly low on plant matter it leaves behind and nearly no lighting conditions required? :)

Eleocharis ''parvula'' (hair grass)
Pink or orange water lily.
Echinodorus 'vesuvius' (AWESOME snake bamboo-like twirls!)
Fissidens splachnobryoides (the bottom moss)
Marsilea quadrifolia (water shamrock)
Anubias, Petite Nana (just big leaves)
APONOGETON ULVACEUS (large flat curvy)
Corkscrew Vallisneria (long snake twirls)
Onion Plant (Crinum thaianum) (long, stingy, spacious)

I mean, likely hardly anything left over to clean up XD this was a disaster with one plant that i'm now wanting to sell/give away.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Anubias species tend not to make a lot of mess. I used to use them in my bare-bottom tanks and the mess they made was hardly noticeable. They are extremely slow growing so don't need a lot of pruning or special care.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #14 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Anubias species tend not to make a lot of mess. I used to use them in my bare-bottom tanks and the mess they made was hardly noticeable. They are extremely slow growing so don't need a lot of pruning or special care.
Okay! Anything else you'd recommend that i'd like? XD Sorry to say I cant stand common plants so much <3 Anubias, Petite Nana <3 and i'd assume moss should be fine.... thank you so much for everything!
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote