What?

I said I think my Betta's a crowntail just because. :D
bobbysgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:58 AM   #12 
Stillwater

Re: Question about 10 gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysgrl
Can I add my Betta, then add more fish later on without the chance of the new fish dying?
While there is always the chance of the new fish dying, there are things that can be done to minimise this from occurring.

Have another tank or 2gal. bowl prepared and ready. This, incase when you add the new females you find that your current female is active to aggressive or one of the new females is acting aggressive. You can then separate for a time, the aggressor. After the rest of the females in the 10 gal. have had a chance to settle in, give it at least several days. You can then try returning the aggressor to the 10 gal.

Have lots of plants etc. in the 10gal. so there will be plenty of hiding places and territories.

Female bettas housed and stocked correctly will usually get along. Some displaying, flaring and chasing would be normal. The personality of your betta, bettas, will be the deciding factor.

These are some of the things that I could think of. There could be more, and hopefully others will be by to correct me if i'm wrong and or to chime in with more info.

Hope I have not repeated info that you already knew.

Best of luck to you, I really hope all goes well, because the female bettas are great. I have 9 in my 75gal. and I just love them they are so funny and have super personalities.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #13 
bobbysgrl

Thanks for the info! I love my current female Betta too, that is why I wanted to get a few more. Whenever I sit at my desk she always comes to the front of the tank to watch me.
bobbysgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #14 
Oldman47

I keep 5 females together in a 10 gallon. There are no other fish in with them but I gave them lots of plants and silk plants to hide from each other. They get along well enough that at any one time they are often within just a few inches of each other. There is no real fighting or nipping but once in a while one of them will put on a dominance pose for the others. Its not always the same one that does it but I never see any real trouble as a result.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #15 
Lindsey88

Five fish are all that will fit in a 10 gallon. You could probably add one more small fish though. A male platy or something similar in size.
Lindsey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #16 
Blaxicanlatino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghreed
I keep 5 females together in a 10 gallon. There are no other fish in with them but I gave them lots of plants and silk plants to hide from each other. They get along well enough that at any one time they are often within just a few inches of each other. There is no real fighting or nipping but once in a while one of them will put on a dominance pose for the others. Its not always the same one that does it but I never see any real trouble as a result.

I was goin to do the same thing.

-what other fish can i add to the tank?
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #17 
okiemavis

I really don't recommend putting females together in a tank. Some people say it can be done, some people don't, but I tend to trust bettababy, who says it can just add more stress to all of the fish, and that they will fight. Also, 5 bettas is too many to keep in a 10 gallon tank. The 1 inch per gallon rule is very helpful- especially in a smaller tank like a 10 gallon where the parameters are so hard to keep steady. Bettas grow to be 2.5 inches, so you really shouldn't keep more than 4, and even that's pushing it, as they're so territorial.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote