Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #1 
pyro fiend

what kind is this

i was wondering what kind of anubia is this? it just came in a tube labeled "assorted anubia" i was hoping to find any kind but im just curious... also.. if im not mistaken i think i read somewere i shldnt burry the stem looking thing? is that true? i have a sand cap and put a thin thin opping over some of mine as im adding new fish and dont want my betta knocking it over thus having to put it back every hour. should i let it float instead then? :[ i burried it very little. so im nt rly sure. XC
Attached Images

pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

It looks like the one I have but I don know what kind it is. Nana something maybe??

Nope, you dont bury the roots. Either tie it to driftwood or some decor OR let it float free.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #3 
pyro fiend

awe fail it looked so nice where i put it too :( may tie it to something in the morning perhaps. or float it.. i thought so but i know somewhere someone said you aint supposed to but you can put a few pebbles of gravel over it and its roots will grab hold? maybe im thinking of another thing with the rhy-madoodle bobber :\ was hoping with the word asorted id get 2 or 3 dif small anubia, like 2 or 3 kinds. but ig its still worth the like $5.34 i spent on it as woulda costed more then that to buy and ship :)

dont get me wrong. its abeautiful plant, just thought i could bury it :\ ill pull it up in the morning i suppose.. float it till i either decide were to put it on my driftwood or find a small lavarock/rock cave XD thanks for the help.
__
if anyone can maybe id it? ik its hard to tell if its a small one or large [im thinking nana sence its so small and has a huge root as seen. but if im not mistaken these grow SLOOOOW so could go either way? :P
Old 09-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #4 
laoshun

looks like anubias nana or anubias barteri. You can bury it, but you have to keep the large stem above the surface or it begins to rot.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #5 
pyro fiend

thought so on the rotting. sweet. i read you cant tell if its nana or barteri till it grows. so ig ill see :)
Old 09-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #6 
SpookyTooth

At a glance I'd agree that it is an Anubias nana. It has the potential to grow and seem more like a bartei but it looks indeitcal to two A. nana that I currently have so that's just my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro fiend View Post
i know somewhere someone said you aint supposed to but you can put a few pebbles of gravel over it and its roots will grab hold? maybe im thinking of another thing with the rhy-madoodle bobber
Do you mean the rhizome? The large, thick "root" where all the roots and stems/leaves come from is referred to as the rhizome, as long as this stays above the substrate you shouldn't have any problems. I've read of people who have buried their Anubias' roots so I think it's all down to personal preference and willingness to experiment.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #7 
pyro fiend

thanks i thought it looked like nana bit there's always that chance its not ig[learned this hrs aftr post] -shrug-

and ya the rhizome i knew the word but didnt knw how to spell it lol. but i hav it floating now i may tie it down but i def dnt want my first one to rot =[ thanx tho
Old 09-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

nana :O unless it's a stunted bateri
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #9 
homegrown terror

huh. all my nanas have thinner stems than that.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

mine looks almost identical to that.. except my 6MO one... which is putting out var. Petite sized leaves....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote