Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #1 
whiskandbowl

Is it too late?

Brought home another sicky last night. (I'll have to do an intro post on my other "patient", Christopher, later)

He's severely pineconed, bloated, and seems to have swim bladder issues. He doesn't swim around, basically just sits on his tail. When he does try to swim, he lists to the side or just flops over.

He's in a critter keeper right now, no gravel, with Epsom salt but I wondering if he's just too far gone. I'll post a pic in a bit, but it looks bad to me. His scales look almost straight out, and he has a grey belly. (Dropsy?) He hasn't pooped since I brought him home.
I can get my hands on Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 if need be.
Is it worth it to go ahead with treatment? I had planned on doing 100% water changes with ES as treatment. I didn't want to do Maracyn without seeking your guys' advice first.

As a side note, my work (I work in a petstore, this is where I keep getting fish!) only feeds the fish Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The lady who is in charge of animal care always gives a ton of pellets. Could that be the cause of the bloating/dropsy/SBD?
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

If it were me, I would get the Marycyn and treat him, even if he wasn't going to make it. Plus it would allow you to have that medication for later emergencies.

But really it's up to you if you believe he is truly too far gone. If your heart tugs and says 'keep trying' then he still has a chance. :3 And if he fades, then at least he went on knowing someone cared.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #3 
whiskandbowl

Here's a picture of the poor guy. Sorry, it's huge, but you get the detail better

Old 09-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #4 
whiskandbowl

Bump Bump

Little guy is still hanging in there. He can still swim to the surface for air, and was pretty feisty when I was changing his water.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #5 
ZackyBear

Poor thing...if he's feisty you know that he still wants to live ;3 I hope he pulls through!
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote