Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #1 
crowntaillove

Something wrong, or just natural coloring?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons divided
What temperature is your tank? 74
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? a mystery snail and another betta on the other side of the divide

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1/2 gallon daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? i don't know the percentage, but at the very least a 1/2 gallon, usually more
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? amquel and water conditioning fizz tabs

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Her gills have red streaks and her entire chin/gills have turned silver, but the insides of her gills look black
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? she usually spends her time swimming against the glass frantically as if shes looking for a way out, she did this even when she was in her 10 gallon alone
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a week or two ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've moved decorations around, to see if she was just bored
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? She's about an inch to an inch and a half long, I'm not sure how old that would make her.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Seems to me that she's just been flaring and that's the way it's supposed to look.
Posted the clearest picture I could find of one of my males flaring and showing similar discoloration to what you're describing.
Attached Images

vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #3 
schell0385

Vil, What is flaring and when does it happen to Bettas? My Betta just started doing the same thing described above.

I have him frozen shrimp Brine (first time) and the next day I noticed it. Completely changed his water and put in a teaspoon of ES. Today he is the same and definitely scraping against the side of his bowl. Changed his water 100% today added another tsp ES. I am not sure if it could have been the frozen brine? But it happened very very fast.

Schell
schell0385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #4 
gn3ranger

bettas flare when they are territorial or when they try to act "tough", flaring is normal they will flare at anything they see as a threat. They sometimes tend to flare when they see their own reflection in the glass so that might explain why the betta is constantly on the glass due to seeing its own reflection. So it's perfectly normal for them to flare it's just what bettas do.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #5 
RedRaz

I agree with gn3ranger. Whenever I turn on my tank light my betta goes crazy flaring because he sees his own reflection. Thinks it's another betta that mysteriously appeared. *giggle* It's just what betta's like to do. Oh they would laugh out loud if they knew it was their own reflection. :D
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote