Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #1 
Aahnay

I may have fry pls tell me if this is what to feed them

here is my question with links to the food on ebay, the worms feed first then the eggs, but can i feed them to betta fry?

Im looking at these cause i can get them in 3 days if i hurry.

Thanks very much
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 
babystarz

Do you have live plants in the tank with the eggs? Put a bunch in there if you don't already have them. The fry will eat infusoria created by the plants for the first few days, so that should leave enough time for the microworms to arrive. You'll need to set up the micro worm culture immediately when it arrives. I don't know if dcaps like that will work for bettas or not. Since you'll have the micro worms to feed the fry for a while I would suggest buying a bbs hatchery and bbs eggs in salt.

If you end up without food they can eat hard boiled egg yolk in a pinch, you'll need to make a watery paste with a tiny bit and deposit it with a turkey baster. Overfeeding is a huge issue for fry and they need daily water changes in a bare bottomed tank because they're very susceptible to ammonia on the bottom. The filter in the tank should be turned off until the fry are free swimming, and then once they are swimming only use a sponge filter with the current adjusted to be very low. They should also be kept at a water temp around 80-82 degrees.

Last edited by babystarz; 09-23-2012 at 10:07 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Here's what I've read and what I remember about fry. First, if momma's not out now, take her out. Second, don't feed anyone (not even papa) until the fry are free-swimming. Then take papa out. If you have live plants, you already have a source of infusoria in there. You can supplement that by adding extra infusoria in one of two ways:

place a lettuce leaf or two in the water. It will soon have microorganisms that the fry can eat.
OR
Get a mason jar and fill it with tank water. Add in all sorts of greenery - grass and aquarium plant clippings, strawberry tops, lettuce leaves, oak leaves - and cap. Leave it somewhere that is room temp for several days. When you hold it up to light, you should see a little moving cloud at the top. That is the infusoria. If it smells like newmown grass or hay when you uncap it, it is ready. If it smells sour, it is bad. Add about a cup of this water to the tank a few times a day.

After a week, the fry can eat microworms and San Francisco bay newly hatched baby brine shrimp (Salt Lake brine shrimp tends to be bigger). You can hatch your own or you can see if they will eat thawed and frozen baby brine shrimp.

As the weeks go by, you can gradually transition to powdered food.

Look up Golden Pearls on eBay. Those are supposed to be good fry food and a suitable replacement for live baby brine shrimp. Get 100-200 micron size. Yourfishdirect is a good seller.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #4 
Aahnay

thank you. I need to change the water in the tank then, and I thought i shouldnt do that. ok, will wing it. I thought the needed the blood worms at 4 days.

I have grown brine before, but i think mine were bigger.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #5 
Sakura8

When you want baby brine shrimp, it's important to harvest the cysts within 24 hours of hatching. After that, they start to molt and grow and lose their nutritional value.

Don't change the water for several days at least and when you do, you'll have to change only a small bit. I've heard changing too much at once can shock the fry.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #6 
Aahnay

I just wanted to say, i didnt plan this, one of the females in my sorority turned out to be a young placket.

I do have plants, ill get the worms and the brine.

Water changes, yes, I read/saw to take out half, then drip it back in slowly. I dont have a dripper. Also can float new water in take to get to exact temp, then drip it in, but again, dont know how to drip it in? My tank was do for its 3 day cleaning. I need to do that now.

No hatchlings yet so can i take out half now? and slowly add it back in.

Last edited by Aahnay; 09-24-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #7 
lillyandquigly

What do you plan on doing with all of them when they're grown?
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #8 
Aahnay

It looks like the Golden Pearls, could be fed instead of the micro worms? at the 100-200 size, then move up to the 300-400 for brine shrimp size?

It wont be 'all of them' there are maybe only about 20 eggs, as I believe the other females fed on the eggs before the male/female could gather them or even after, because there were 7 females in this tank, well 6.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #9 
lillyandquigly

I know, but if you end up with twenty or so surving fry, and they all survive to adulthood, what do you plan on doing with them?
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #10 
babystarz

Wait to do the water change until the fry are free swimming. At this point they're just too fragile for that kind of water movement, and even if you use a turkey baster you could suck up fallen fry, so if you use one to spot clean, make sure you pour the gunk into a cup to check for fry before disposing of it.

To drip the water in people usually siphon it with air tubing, I think.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote