Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #11 
xShainax

I hate people giving wrong info on here and getting mad when we prove them wrong. Not saying any names though
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #12 
LizzyP

Well, Shainax, I don't want to be rude and I say this with the most respect but...I wouldn't call you a star member of the forum here lately, either. And I think you know what I'm talking about.

I just want people to be civil. That's all. I'm not asking for a reinvention of the wheel, I'm not asking to part the Red Sea, I'm not asking for all the betta fish in the world. Just be civil.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #13 
xShainax

I know what you are talking about but I can think of one way worse than me
Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #14 
LizzyP

But it isn't about who is worse than someone else. That defeats the entire purpose. If we all went around with the mentality "So and so is meaner than I am, so I can be mean, too. And if I get in trouble, or called out about it, then I'll just throw someone else under the bus" Then we would be really, really screwed. Just why not be nicer in the first place, hm?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #15 
xShainax

I try to be nice but it's hard when you have the best interest of the betta's but a person doesn't listen and does something else
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #16 
LizzyP

And I completely understand that, I do too.

BUT...

Being rude, or harsh, or mean will not get the point across any faster. It just makes you look bad. And I'm sure you were not the best betta caregiver when you first started, either. No one was. Everyone learns and makes mistakes, no one is perfect.

What I am saying is instead of yelling at someone next time they do something wrong, or making them feel bad, politely explain to them why this way works and this one doesn't. And if you can't do it nicely, don't post at all. No one said you have to comment on every singe post someone makes. And if you don't want to see posts from certain users, there is a block feature.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #17 
bahamut285

I have to agree with both Lizzy and Shainax here.

I agree that it is rude to be all: "lol ur fish gonna die if you don't do x,y,z because he has a,b,c!". Even something like: "why don't you have a heater? You listened to that stupid petsmart boy didn't you?!"

However I find it frustrating when somebody (for example) posts a picture of a male and female in a 5 gallon TOGETHER and is like: "pls rate and comment" and when somebody says: "Hey it's not recommended to put a male and female together" then the OP just EXPLODES and starts reporting people left right and centre, only to find out that OP wanted some sort of validation for their behaviour. "NO THEY'RE IN LOVE SPARKLES IS TROJAN'S GIRLFRIEND"

I understand that nobody likes being told that they are wrong, but sometimes it is NECESSARY. Yes you try to do it in a civil manner but if OP becomes aggressive, I feel at least that I have the right to defend my knowledge, with or without help from other members or a moderator.

However, Lizzy, if there is somebody in particular who is consistently harassing you on the forum, you should PM a moderator.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #18 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
I have to agree with both Lizzy and Shainax here.

I agree that it is rude to be all: "lol ur fish gonna die if you don't do x,y,z because he has a,b,c!". Even something like: "why don't you have a heater? You listened to that stupid petsmart boy didn't you?!"

However I find it frustrating when somebody (for example) posts a picture of a male and female in a 5 gallon TOGETHER and is like: "pls rate and comment" and when somebody says: "Hey it's not recommended to put a male and female together" then the OP just EXPLODES and starts reporting people left right and centre, only to find out that OP wanted some sort of validation for their behaviour. "NO THEY'RE IN LOVE SPARKLES IS TROJAN'S GIRLFRIEND"

I understand that nobody likes being told that they are wrong, but sometimes it is NECESSARY. Yes you try to do it in a civil manner but if OP becomes aggressive, I feel at least that I have the right to defend my knowledge, with or without help from other members or a moderator.

However, Lizzy, if there is somebody in particular who is consistently harassing you on the forum, you should PM a moderator.
+1.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #19 
bahamut285

I would type a response to your second concern of people jumping to worst conclusions but that's covered in the fact that lot of people just post answers for no reason, correct information or not.

In ANY learning environment you must be willing to accept that sometimes you are just WRONG. Just like at school. You're not going to be all: "WHATEVER I CAN DO WHAT I WANT" to your teacher when she tells you that you got a question on a test wrong, right?

However there are a LOT of people who generally cannot accept this.

Herein lies the difficulty.

(footnote: by "you" I mean general public, not the pronoun)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #20 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
(footnote: by "you" I mean general public, not the pronoun)
I know you were talking about the general public, I use you to talk about a group of people