Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #1 
bettababe89

Question how should a Wal-Mart employee (me) care for bettas?

Tell a real life Wal-Mart employee (me) how you would care for bettas’
I was just hired last week for the section next to pets at a local Wal-Mart and have volunteered to care for them on my break
Please leave me comments on what you think I should do, OBVIOUSLY giving them a larger home would be ideal but It was a no go Within my power how can I make these creatures have a betta’ (ha a joke) life. I was thinking A.) Partial water changes every other day B.) Cardboard bowl separators C.) Treats?
What’s your input. Let me know here or at mcshizzlestien@gmail.com <3 ya’ll
bettababe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #2 
whiskandbowl

If the cups WalMart uses is standard from store to store, then I would want to see water changes every day. Those cups aren't very big, and ammonia builds up fast.
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #3 
bettababe89

do you think a 100% change will harm them? If not then I def can do this! im using water treatment drops and tap water. So far nobody (at the store) has even answered me on what they are currently being fed so i brought my own worms+pellets and i made a sign against stacking cups. I wish i could just save them all but I know that will just make them order more :(
Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #4 
xShainax

The best betta I ever had was a grizzled VT who had fin rot and it never healed. Had him for 6 months and he died from choking on a pellet
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettababe89 View Post
do you think a 100% change will harm them? If not then I def can do this! im using water treatment drops and tap water. So far nobody (at the store) has even answered me on what they are currently being fed so i brought my own worms+pellets and i made a sign against stacking cups. I wish i could just save them all but I know that will just make them order more :(
If you are able to do 100% changes every day in their cups, then by all means do it. I am so pleased to see this question and give you huge kudos for doing this, and on your break time. I'm glad about the sign about stacking cups..I go in my Wal-Mart constantly and unstack the cups. I wish I could hug you...thanks for helping them. I am still working with the managers at my local store trying to make changes.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #6 
bettababe89

I am hoping if they see that keeping them alive as long as possible it is not only the right thing to do but saves the store money and other stores will follow suit because 90% of them die in their cups never getting a home. every three to four weeks they all vanish and another supply shows up. makes me so sad. I will try a 80% water change daily and see how they hold up.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
I am hoping if they see that keeping them alive as long as possible it is not only the right thing to do but saves the store money and other stores will follow suit because 90% of them die in their cups never getting a home. every three to four weeks they all vanish and another supply shows up. makes me so sad. I will try a 80% water change daily and see how they hold up.
This is exactly the point I have been trying to make here...they are losing money by letting the fish just die anyway. We can only keep trying to make a difference...especially if we can just get them to buy less of them at one time...it' would be easier to care for them, and the company would save money by not killing so many fish. sigh
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #8 
whiskandbowl

Quote:
I don't think so, but is there a way you could get a big bucket and label it "Fish Water" to have for water changes? That way it will all be at the same temperature. Same temperature= less stress for the fish
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #9 
RedRaz

bettababe89 Wow that is so awesome of you! This would make a HUGE difference in the lives of the bettas. (((HUGS)))
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

what's the typical temperature of a walmart betta's water...? I wiuld recommend feeding them one pellet a day until they find a new home...
mainly to keep the ammonia levels down. Also in thw cup and cold qater, their metabolism works slower, so they would not need that much food
ao is offline   Reply With Quote