Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #1 
RedFynn21

How do I politely tell my boss she isnít properly caring for her betta?

I've been contemplating this scenario for the past few weeks, and realized I could really benefit from some friendly advice from fellow betta lovers on here.

Here's the deal:

My boss recently aquired a beautiful male super-delta several week ago. He currently resides on her office desk. He was given to her as a gift--so I assume she is a betta newbie? He is currently housed in a Marina half gallon "zen cube" with no heater, and very, very few water changes. Space is an issue for my boss--as he is on an office desk. I'm guessing she couldn't get any larger than a 3 gallon tank? I feel bad about poor Sebastian. My boss loves him to death--she really does--but doesn't seem aware of proper betta care requirements. (My job is in no way affiliated with pet care. I work at Kohl's clothing store, by the way, lol). What I want to know is: how can I politely, respectfully and tactfully bring up the subject with her about possibly upgrading his tank/heater/care routine with-out coming off as a know-it-all buttinski? Or compromise my job? I feel that as an informed betta owner/lover that it's my responsibility to inform her, but do not want to over-step my bounds, and broach something that is not my business--but at the same time, I really want to share my experience.

Any ideas or suggestions? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

Last edited by RedFynn21; 09-21-2012 at 03:28 AM.
RedFynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #2 
xShainax

Tell her to join the forum.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #3 
LadyVictorian

I would just slip it in casually, maybe like "Don't you think he would like a bigger tank?" or "Hey I see you have a betta. I have a bunch at home and have a lot of interesting information on them. I can share some with you if you like." Normally what I start with.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #4 
Pilot00

Ask her what he feeds him. Then tell her that you too have many. She will most likely ask you if she really loves him. And then tell her.

Or find an excuse to go into the office and after said excuse ask her how is the fish doing small talktime, and then twist the conversation into caring.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #5 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
Tell her to join the forum.
I like xShainax's idea. Casually getting into the topic may be ok for some people, but other people are really sensitive about pet care... and will get offended if you even suggest they might need to learn anything about their pet. Since she's your boss, that's a fine line to tred.

You could also get her a betta book as a gift and tell her you are really into bettas and thought it would be nice to have someone at the store that you could talk to about the hobby. Another good idea would be to get her a thermometer for her tank. They're only $2 normally, and if you got her a thermometer as a gift to help her new betta, she may realize that they need care like any other pet :)

Good luck with it!
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #6 
homegrown terror

i'd take $30 and just go buy a 3gal tank for her. i've got two of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-LED-...-Pets/20693135 and they'd look wonderful on a desktop. they only take up about two square feet of surface space, but have plenty of room for both swimming and planting. it'll help the little guy so much, and put you on the short-list next time raises or promotions are going around. :D
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

I agree with xshainax.
Telling her about the forum, tell her its a great community, theres betta art, betta chat, photo sharing & more.
That way she wont feel offended at all, but she will still get the right information if she joins.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

I have a betta in the exact same cube, and I have to say the care required to maintain the cube is no beginner's task XD
To get have zero ammonia I have to have live plants and do a water change every second day...you also need to heat the tank... which I do with a reptile heat pad :/

I think explaining all this stuff to your boss will just overwhelm her with too much information XD

So I totally agree with the "Hey I see you have a betta, can I recommend you a forum about bettas? You can learn everything you need to know there!"
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

How do you heat it. Slip her a care sheet without letting her know she reads it and gets proper care.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Plus to the person with the cube excerise and heating. A betta lives longer in at least a two gallon. The tank fails all care. Just because you are not a beginner does not mean you could keep your fish in a .5 gallon. You need heating and excerise.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote