hahaha
that will be awkward XD

just approach her like ur happy to see another betta lover :D
people are usually suspicious and non trusting of sneakiness :P
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #22 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think the pamphlet is the least dangerous. Your boss may do more research and realize her care is bad.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #23 
WashingtonCowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I think the pamphlet is the least dangerous. Your boss may do more research and realize her care is bad.
I disagree. I think that sneaking a pamphlet in would be most dangerous. Just talk to her, find a way to bring up bettas.
WashingtonCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonCowgirl View Post
I disagree. I think that sneaking a pamphlet in would be most dangerous. Just talk to her, find a way to bring up bettas.
It is zero risk to her job. Some people get angry when told there care is bad. If the boss doubts the care she researchs it. If the boss believes the care she follows it. If the boss ignore it then tell the person yourself.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #25 
WashingtonCowgirl

Quote:
It is zero risk to her job. Some people get angry when told there care is bad. If the boss doubts the care she researchs it. If the boss believes the care she follows it. If the boss ignore it then tell the person yourself.
Yes. And if she gets caught, the boss will bring it up. I know if I were the boss, that would lead to some hurt feelings on my part. Its something so simple to just TALK about, and if my employees don't feel comfortable doing that then what am I doing wrong?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If she is not caught two out of the three options work. The stragey is meant for her if she fears her boss will argue and get defensive if not talking is a great idea.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #27 
ao
TFK Moderator

There are lots of ways to talk so people don't get defensive :)
as long as it's not:
"You need a 5 gallon tank! you need a heater! you need to do water changes! or he will die!"

lololol because that's what really gets people defensive.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #28 
SnowySurface

Quote:
In my experience, it's more dangerous to be passive agrressive than direct. When something is done passive aggressively, it gives off the image that you bottle things up until you explode and then act like you don't have a mushroom cloud above your head. If you think something is being done wrong it is more professional to tell someone in private to their face in a direct manor.

Also, tone is not conveyed well in type or gestures. Quite a few arguements have happened on the forum because people read the wrong tone in a message. The same could happen with a secret pamplet since it could come off as judgemental instead of informative. If the OP just tells her boss face to face, the boss will know the OP isn't being judgemental but caring. The OP noticed a problem, and suggested corrections for the sole purpose of correcting an error. No judgement. No Holier than thou mentality. Only straight to the point facts.

In fact, if I was in the OP's postion and I noticed my department manager had a betta in that set up, I would say, "Excuse me, I've been caring for betta fish for a little over 9 years and couldn't help but notice your's. Bettas are tropical fish that need 78-80 degree water and at least 1 gallon of water to survive. A better set up is 2.5 gallons with a heater and thermometer because 1 gallon tanks are so unstable. Ammonia spikes happen out of no where...the smaller the heater the less reliable it...2.5 gallons is a nice mix of stability and small size."

However, I'm a bit blunt and would have spoken my mind the first time I saw her fish in too small of a set up. I have my two 5 gallon tanks as my screen saver on my computer and have talked about tanks with a co-worker during lunch. It isn't a secret that I'm obsessed with fish. The OP may have to mention that she's been worried about insulting the boss, but wants to share some knowledge before suggesting the upgrade.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #29 
WashingtonCowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
In my experience, it's more dangerous to be passive agrressive than direct. When something is done passive aggressively, it gives off the image that you bottle things up until you explode and then act like you don't have a mushroom cloud above your head. If you think something is being done wrong it is more professional to tell someone in private to their face in a direct manor.

Also, tone is not conveyed well in type or gestures. Quite a few arguements have happened on the forum because people read the wrong tone in a message. The same could happen with a secret pamplet since it could come off as judgemental instead of informative. If the OP just tells her boss face to face, the boss will know the OP isn't being judgemental but caring. The OP noticed a problem, and suggested corrections for the sole purpose of correcting an error. No judgement. No Holier than thou mentality. Only straight to the point facts.

In fact, if I was in the OP's postion and I noticed my department manager had a betta in that set up, I would say, "Excuse me, I've been caring for betta fish for a little over 9 years and couldn't help but notice your's. Bettas are tropical fish that need 78-80 degree water and at least 1 gallon of water to survive. A better set up is 2.5 gallons with a heater and thermometer because 1 gallon tanks are so unstable. Ammonia spikes happen out of no where...the smaller the heater the less reliable it...2.5 gallons is a nice mix of stability and small size."

However, I'm a bit blunt and would have spoken my mind the first time I saw her fish in too small of a set up. I have my two 5 gallon tanks as my screen saver on my computer and have talked about tanks with a co-worker during lunch. It isn't a secret that I'm obsessed with fish. The OP may have to mention that she's been worried about insulting the boss, but wants to share some knowledge before suggesting the upgrade.
This is what I was trying to say lol
Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #30 
RandyTheBettaFish

Tell your boss about the forum. All other ways could lead to hurt feelings.
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote