Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #31 
Onlyonagoodday

I like BettaQi's idea. Mention you have a beta too that way its a casual conversation about something you have in common not you preaching. Then bring up the fact that a bigger tank would be easier to care for and that he would look much better in something a bit larger. I think this would be best if you had any extra supplies, like "you know I have some extra decorations, if you decide to get a new tank" so that you're being encouraging and willing to help her. I don't think she'll get upset.
Onlyonagoodday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #32 
bahamut285

To be honest, I personally think you should maybe go up to her and say something like: "oh you have a betta! he's really pretty, they're such great pets, I've had them for a few years! Feel free if you need to ask me anything, I'll be happy to help"

...and leave it at that. If she doesn't ask for your help, then I think you should mind your own business (not in a rude way!). A lot of people (sometimes displayed on this forum here) don't like to be told they are doing something wrong. However if presented with an offer to help, they may or may not come to you depending on how much your boss actually cares for them.

In the end it is HER pet and HER responsibility. You shouldn't threaten your job and boss-employee relationship over something like this.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #33 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyTheBettaFish View Post
Tell your boss about the forum. All other ways could lead to hurt feelings.
I meant some people no matter how much you prove them wrong and refuse good care. Talking is best but showing a paper care sheet will make your point.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #34 
bahamut285

Giving and ditching a care sheet on their desk is (as Snowy said) very passive aggressive. It says to me: "Here, you obviously have no idea what you're doing so here is a big sheet that you should follow" - Anonymous.

If I got a random sheet like that on my desk I would be pretty insulted. I would just throw the paper out and find out who left it there. You should be able to communicate effectively with others without causing harm. If you can't do it, then don't say anything.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #35 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would read the paper. Talking is a good method too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #36 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I meant some people no matter how much you prove them wrong and refuse good care. Talking is best but showing a paper care sheet will make your point.
I don't think it's ever a good idea to try an prove people wrong and myself right...
If I talk to someone because I care about them and not just because I want to prove them wrong... it always works out.
There is no point of proving someone wrong if I will only agitate them, I'm willig to take a step back and accomodate their opinions and talk to them from a level they can accept.

So usually instead of:
"Your tank is too small, you should get atleast a 2.5 gallon, or your betta will die prematurely"

I would say:
"Hi! Your fish is so beautiful! it's a shame that the tank's so small! Did the LFS worker tell you it was ok? nah... don't believe them, Bettas don't actually live in tiny puddles *insert fact about real betta habitat here*.
I would recommend you to get a 2.5 gallon tank. It's also a bonus that they're easier to heat because bettas are tropical fish, and don't do too well without a heater! Did you know they've been known to live up to eight years?" etcetc.

Ofcourse the above conversation will be modified according to the listener's response :) 99% of the time, it gets the message theough to people XD
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #37 
dramaqueen
Banned

Every time I tell someone about the forum they look at me like, Whaaatt! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #38 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't let a little care sheet make me mad.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #39 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I wouldn't let a little care sheet make me mad.
Yeah i think thats overreacting.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #40 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
Yeah i think thats overreacting.
It IS overreacting. If someone left an anonymous care sheet on my desk I'd probably laugh about it. Flipping out over it is silly.