Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #11 
ZackyBear

Why not get snowball shrimp or yellw shrimp? They would look nice in there...

Your tank is beautiful by the way
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Ummm...maybe I'm not seeing things right, but where is your heater? Is it that long black rod to the right? Or is that your filter intake?

LEDs should cause no temperature fluctuation.

It's a good idea to provide a minimum of 6 hours darkness everyday. Betta have a circadian rhythm, too.

It's also a good idea to cover your tank. Prevents jumping and provides a warm moist layer of air to breath. Cling film is ideal.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #13 
Olocitad

Luckily Earl seems to be a picky eater. He doesn't even like the bloodworms I put in his tank! I had got them to sate the frogs ( who DID like the bloodworms ) because the store was out of ADF food until today when I can go to the more well stocked store, and though Earl was really curious about 'em and would grab them and such, he'd spit them out later like bleh! Gross, ma! So I don't think he'll be too interested in the froggie pellets, we will see! Hopefully they sink cause my froggies seem to prefer the bottom of the tank very much haha.
Olocitad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #14 
teeneythebetta

Nice tank! you coud add a snail but keep in mind that they poop a lot. They also need removed to eat their food.
I wouldnt get anything else based on what the pet store employee suggests. Most of them are clueless in proper fish care, so beware.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #15 
Olocitad

You can't see the heater in any of the photos because the curvature of the tank is hiding it but its next to the filter, which is where the instructions reccomended to put it. However I'm not sure it was entirely necessary during the day time because my thermostat says my tank holds a rather steady 78 degrees anyway, but oh well.

Earl and his friends are getting at least six hours of darkness a day, I promise. Admittedly I may accidentally be keeping up later than they would like because my reading lamp but on average I sleep from 12 30 to 7 30, and the tank lights are off during that time, so there it is. :D

The tank has a lid; there's no way for anybody to jump out! I know the jumping power of bettas, my aunt had a jump-happy fish when I was little that ended up killing itself because she wasn't bright enough to at least put netting over the top of her open-top tank after he jumped out seven or eight times. :l

Okay, I probably won't be getting a snail. I would rather things that don't poop like crazy haha xD And also, I can guarantee the fish guy at the store I work at is knowledgeable. To the point where if he doesn't think you're a suitable owner for a certain fish he will decline the sale until he feels the buyer is educated enough-- and he is the only fish associate at any pet store ever that I've seen decline a sale for any reason ever. @.@ But regardless I would take as he says with a grain of salt of course and do my own research to back it up. I just get the general idea from the store employee so I know exactly what I should be researching. :>

Today's shopping list -- vaccuum and wallscraper because despite the fact that was mostly what I went to the pet store yesterday for I somehow forgot BOTH those things. Ugh. xD

Considering getting a yellow shrimp. I'd like something of more color in there because the frogs can be really hard to see -- especially on the bonzai, they camoflage like crazy! And if a shrimp is bright yellow ( AND REALLY CUTE I JUST GOOGLED THEM ) that should be awesome :D But we'll see. I don't want to overcrowd the tank and I've already got a fish and three frogs.

Sorry I started to ramble here, this post got much longer than I intended fff.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #16 
Olocitad

Got frog food, vaccuum, and scraper ( FINALLY REMEMBERED THOSE LAST TWO yeesh )
Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #17 
schell0385

Olo,

Where did you find your tree? I have seen one in another photo and have been looking for one? I have bonsai's in my home and love the look of it. Are the leaves silk?

Thank you.....
I am thinking of putting shrimp in my new tank - it is cycling now - but I love the frog idea. My brother and I always caught tree frogs and lake frogs, hatched their eggs and watched the polywogs grow up.....what a blast.

schell
schell0385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #18 
schell0385

oh, what kind of tank did you get? What is the filter type that came with it? I ended up getting a bio-wheel, but I am going to put a small sponge on the tip, or a little tiny water sock.

sch
schell0385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #19 
Olocitad

I got it from Petsmart, which is where I got everything in the tank -- I work there so I get employee discount :> No, the leaves are not silk though, so I'd be careful with it. Earl hasn't had any problems with it but something with longer, thinner fins might.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #20 
Olocitad

Quote:
Originally Posted by schell0385 View Post
oh, what kind of tank did you get? What is the filter type that came with it? I ended up getting a bio-wheel, but I am going to put a small sponge on the tip, or a little tiny water sock.

sch
http://www.marineland.com/sites/mari...l.aspx?id=4651

I got this one, I don't know the specifics but the filter did come with it. Many reviewers say it creates a current too strong for the size of the tank -- I personally don't have a problem with it and Earl seems fine ( able to hold still in the middle of the tank without over exerting his little fins and not getting pushed about too much ) but maybe I lucked out. It does have a biowheel in it as well. I like the tank, however the curvature of the sides can make it kinda hard to look at too closely -- it messes with your guys at close range :P