Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #1 
EvilVOG

What is going on?

Once again i put my reds (father/ daughter) in the breeding tank, couple hours later, have a pile of eggs in the nest. This time it was a late afternoon spawn so i notice that any eggs the male doesn't catch, the female eats :( also she develops swimming issues almost immediately after being released (she did that last time too) . Anyway once she decides she's done i get her out. Sill have a pile of eggs in the nest, with daddy keeping watch.

Last time the eggs mostly vanished overnight, save 3. And then those vanished. This time the eggs were still there in the morning. And still there when i took this photo about 2 hours short of the 24h mark:

About 2 hours later i go to check for hatched fry and all the eggs are gone. No trace of them but a couple that fell out and i watched him put then put back in. No fry that i can see anywhere. Lifted the cup, nothing.

Now he has bred before and was just fantastic with his first spawn. I can't imagine that he would become an egg eater, or why he would wait 24hrs to eat them? is there maybe something wrong with the eggs?

Any input you have would be appreciated.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #2 
crowntaillove

I'm definately no expert, but this also happened to me. Every time I went back to check on him, there would be gradually less and less eggs/fry until they were all gone. I'm guessing there was something wrong with my spawn.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #3 
babystarz

How old is the father? If he's over/nearing a year it's possible he can't produce viable offspring any more. If there is enough genetic damage to the copies he's sending of his genes, the eggs could stop developing, causing him to eat them. Or something else could be killing off the eggs. I think parasites might be a possibility too. What is the water temp?

Last edited by babystarz; 09-21-2012 at 05:49 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #4 
EvilVOG

Temp is low 80's jumping up to mid-high 80's during the day when the light's on.

Father is just over a year old (i didn't realize i've had him that long) He was spawned 8-30-2011.

Other water parameters are all nominal, tested with API master kit. PH is somewhere between the low range and the high range tests, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite.

I suppose something could have come in with the plants, there's lots of nearly microscopic worms and stuff, but the plants for my first spawn came from the same place, had the micro worms and wild daphnia, and the fry did great.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #5 
EvilVOG

Well attempt #3 is underway, eggs are in the nest and i fed him like mad. he probably ate at least 20 pellets (he's a massive betta to begin with). Hopefully that will detract him from eating the eggs but i also grabbed a couple eggs that were floating loose to try an artifical hatch. we'll see what happens.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #6 
Setsuna

Many male bettas after the first few spawns they will become egg eaters same for the females mostly females do this. they are just too old. your best luck is with a younger couple but dont give up yet when they are conditioned feed them live food such as bloodworms that way they dont mistake eggs for food
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #7 
EvilVOG

Thanks. They got conditioned before round #2 on live food.

Interesting thing at night he tends to move the nest. Not one bubble at a time, the cup and all. haven't caught him doing it to see how he does it yet.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #8 
Junglist

If you want to keep that nice finnage and create stronger gene, The father/daughter is the best way to go.
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #9 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
Thanks. They got conditioned before round #2 on live food.

Interesting thing at night he tends to move the nest. Not one bubble at a time, the cup and all. haven't caught him doing it to see how he does it yet.
I caught my betta doing this. He used his mouth and head to push it where he wanted to. It was kind of funny to watch.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

There are a number of reasons driving males to eat eggs.
1. The eggs were having problems - unfertilized, weak, ect. Not much you can do about this. Make sure water is suitable and both are healthy.
2. Interval between spawns are too short. Most won't become egg eaters, but some do. In these cases, I usually give the male 1-2 month interval. If no change after 3-4 spawns, I retire him..... he'd be rather old anyway.
3. He doesn't like the disturbance - reduce lights (they don't need any lights) and trust him with his eggs until it's time to take him out. Adding live plants that reaches the water surface may also help.
4. He simple "changed" and you would have to artificially hatch the eggs.

Some (psychotic) males wait longer to eat eggs than others. I don't know why, they just do. And it's not because the eggs were bad (I artificially hatched them and they grew to be healthy bettas).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote