Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

Getting ready to buy my baby! Making sure I have everything/

So I was going to put it in the breeder box in the sorority until I have an idea of the gender. I'm not sure what I will be feeding it yet, ideas? Never used anything other than traditional pellets and flakes. I have jars if I need to add anything to the water, and it will go to the sorority if its a girl, and its own tank if its a boy. How soon can I start giving it real food?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #2 
shi

Is the baby from PetCo? :ooo
shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #3 
BettaBaited

Crush up betta pellets if it will try to eat them. Otherwise you'll need microworms or bbs. If you're getting it from Petco, I'll warn you, I've tried to rescue babies from there before, & they all ended up dying. :(
BettaBaited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

Good luck on the baby, I hope all goes well with the poor little thing.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Crushed pellets/betta flakes, chopped up frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp.....and if you can find frozen Baby Brine Shrimp in your area thats something else you can try.
Be careful though, if your baby doesn't take to any of these foods you will have to look into getting live food cultures for him/her.
It depends on how quickly your baby grows when you can start feeding them in a normal adult diet....just whenever they're large enough to eat pellets whole without any issues.

However, I'm not sure how being in a breeder box will effect the growth-rate of the baby, maybe someone with a little more betta breeding/baby experience can comment for sure, but I remember when I had livebearer fry they didn't do as well in the breeder box as they did just out in the main tank.......so I'm not sure if its the best idea to try and raise a baby betta in a breeder box as opposed to its own little tank where it can get more frequent water changes and be more closely monitored.......maybe look into getting a medium-sized Kritter Keeper for your baby instead?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #6 
registereduser

Mine started out eating regular pellets but now he has kind of gotten bored with them, gonna try some frozen/live foods next.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #7 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post

However, I'm not sure how being in a breeder box will effect the growth-rate of the baby, maybe someone with a little more betta breeding/baby experience can comment for sure, but I remember when I had livebearer fry they didn't do as well in the breeder box as they did just out in the main tank.......so I'm not sure if its the best idea to try and raise a baby betta in a breeder box as opposed to its own little tank where it can get more frequent water changes and be more closely monitored.......maybe look into getting a medium-sized Kritter Keeper for your baby instead?
mine's in a breeder box for now, he's tiny. He's my incentive to get the new tank up and running
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Well temporary I'm sure it could be just fine, I'm just not sure how RAISING a baby to adulthood in the breeder box would effect its growth-rate and whatnot is what I meant. xD Not saying that its going to harm it or kill it or anything, just that the baby possibly might do better with its own setup.
Like I said, I'm not entirely positive, but just something I thought I'd toss out there based off of my experience with other types of fry in the breeder box. They didn't grow as well or as quickly as they did when I just left them alone in the main tank. Also, the breeder box got dirty very quickly with the frequent feedings and grew a LOT of brown algae and I had to clean it out quite often.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

heres some good stuff to read: http://bettacarecentral.weebly.com/baby-betta-care.html
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #10 
Pogthefish

Thanks guys! Anyone know what food is best, and where I can get some? Do you think the baby would do okay in the sorority? The only other option is a 1/2 liter jar. (im not sure how big it is though, because about halfway up it says 1000 ml, but the top line says 1 liter... anyway, I only fill them half full. The jar would be heated and get daily 100% water changes.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote