Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #1 
ginchinsing

Three Females In Colorado

Hello!

I'm a huge forum fan and am a visitor of so many. Last night, I got suckered into buying bettas when I went to pick up algae wafers and cat food. How did I get suckered? I went down the wrong fish aisle in Petsmart and past the bettas instead of going to the food aisle. I stopped and looked. That was the downfall. A pretty little pink crowntail gave me the wiggle dance and I had to take her home. I also couldn't just have such a young betta alone in a huge tank, so I picked up two regular betta females. One is a dark blood red and the other one is striped. I never knew bettas could be striped and I've kept them off and on for about ten years.

So, I kept them in their little cups for the night so they could settle. Today I am setting up their new tank today. The fish will be in a 20 gallon long for now and will have an Amazon Sword and Dwarf Hairgrass, which will be the start of my first planted tank. I am planning on getting at least three more betta females to help with aggression as well as other plants. I was just at the tail end of my money for the week so things are at a bare minimum. I'm planning on getting duckweed, frogbit, anacharis, java moss and perhaps a few other plants in the near future. I was planning on it anyway as I have turtles who would benefit from the plants.

I will also be upgrading to a 150 gallon after I move, which will give me plenty of room for plants and community fish such as Dario dario. I have kept bettas in communities before, though never such young ones (the wiggle dancer is small enough that Hikari micro pellets are "regular" sized to her). It amazes me how great most bettas fit into communities (even males) and saddens me that more people don't realize it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and hope to meet everyone!
ginchinsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 
BettaBaited

She isn't striped, just very stressed. I bet within the week you'll have a very pretty blue female! :) (in my experience they stripe up the most)
BettaBaited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #3 
ginchinsing

Could be, however I was remembering my previous females being vertically striped when stressed and not horizontally like this one is. I suppose time will tell though.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Vertical stripes are breeding stripes and horizontal stripes mean that the fish is stressed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

It sounds like you're well on your way to a beautiful betta community.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #6 
ginchinsing

Thanks. I am confused with this forum however. I registered at bettafish and am now receiving reply emails from bother bettafish and here at tropicalfishkeeping. I've never had this situation before with other forums and am very confused as to what happened.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Tropicalfishkeeping & bettafish.com are linked. You can look at it as TFK is the mother forum :)
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Welcome to the forum!
Awesome! Id love to see pictures if you can lol
Be sure to quarantine the girls for at least two weeks, although im sure you already know that because you sound like you know what youre doing lol.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #9 
ginchinsing

That makes sense Romad, thanks.

teeneythebetta, I'm not too worried about quarantine at this point because it's a new tank and all new fish. I'm more worried about getting that fishy cycle going. Thank goodness bettas are hardy and I can always jump start via my turtle tank (I have an oscar and pleco in there).
Old 09-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

If one of those girls is sick then it will make them all sick. Some illnesses are deadly too, and if you have illness it will be a big mess.

I've bought 5 different females on different occasions that died in their own tanks from stuff like dropsy which is practically untreatable :/
Posted via Mobile Device
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote