Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #1 
LittleFish2012

Thoughts on the "elephant ear/dumbo" betta?

Whats up with this new "elephant ear" type of betta? I use the term "new" loosely because its new to me. I'm not sure if its a good thing or bad. I'm not even sure how they bred it. It looks like it'd be difficult to swim.
I saw one at petco today. Bizarre. A half-moon "elephant ear".

Opinions? Pretty or ugly? (well, thats a lie- no betta is ugly)
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #2 
MoonShadow

At first I wasn't a fan of them just because I was afraid they would have difficulty swimming, but I have since owned 2 of them, and I love them! They are gorgeous, and mine had no problem swimming what so ever!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #3 
Coppermoon

Big Ears/Elephant Ears I am not a fan, but I am a breeder and see the large pects as a fault. They can be shown in Variations, so there IS a class for them.

As far as a wet pet...They are kinda cool looking especially if the pects are white....looks like they have big fans :D

If you like them, then I'd say go for getting one.
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I don't personally like larger pectorals on HM males as I feel that is a lot of finnage for a very small-bodied fish like a betta to carry around.

I owned a HMPK 'dumbo' and he had no difficulties in swimming around.

However
, his pectorals were very prone to tearing, sometimes nearly right off, even in a tank specially designed around him. It looked unsightly and painful, and so I would never own another dumbo betta again.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #5 
LittleFish2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermoon View Post
Big Ears/Elephant Ears I am not a fan, but I am a breeder and see the large pects as a fault. They can be shown in Variations, so there IS a class for them.

As far as a wet pet...They are kinda cool looking especially if the pects are white....looks like they have big fans :D

If you like them, then I'd say go for getting one.

That is very interesting... They look kind of funny to me.
The one I saw at the store was very beautiful. I decided on a different fish (non elephant ear) that was colorless. Seems like no one wants the cellophanes...

Do you know how they were bred to look like that? Like were they crossed with some other species of tropical fish?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #6 
registereduser

I think they are gorgeous, no problem swimming at all. My delta tail has more problems swimming than my big ear plakat type. This is Phillip:

Last edited by registereduser; 12-10-2013 at 08:56 PM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #7 
LittleFish2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I don't personally like larger pectorals on HM males as I feel that is a lot of finnage for a very small-bodied fish like a betta to carry around.

I owned a HMPK 'dumbo' and he had no difficulties in swimming around.

However, his pectorals were very prone to tearing, sometimes nearly right off, even in a tank specially designed around him. It looked unsightly and painful, and so I would never own another dumbo betta again.

Nearly tearing right off!? That poor fish!
I was wondering about the whole HM "dumbo" thing being a bit much. I know that I've seen halfmoons that can't seem to swim because of their tails being so large and heavy. I can only imagine it'd be like wearing weights.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #8 
LittleFish2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I think they are gorgeous, no problem swimming at all. My delta tail has more problems swimming than my big ear plakat type. This is Phillip:

Wow, he's really pretty.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #9 
Coppermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFish2012 View Post
That is very interesting... They look kind of funny to me.
The one I saw at the store was very beautiful. I decided on a different fish (non elephant ear) that was colorless. Seems like no one wants the cellophanes...

Do you know how they were bred to look like that? Like were they crossed with some other species of tropical fish?
It is a deformity that was encouraged like most of the new breeds of most things. This statement was not meant to be taken as rude, but if you think about it....the HM was considered a deformity way back when :D
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #10 
LittleFish2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermoon View Post
It is a deformity that was encouraged like most of the new breeds of most things. This statement was not meant to be taken as rude, but if you think about it....the HM was considered a deformity way back when :D
I don't think thats rude at all. :) I didn't know the HM was a deformity. I guess I should brush up on some more betta history...

Tags
betta fish, dumbo, elephant ear, jazz hands