Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #1 
jeremywadejunior

Betta evacuation

Last week, my dorm building had a fire drill. I wanted to practice/prepare my evacuation plan for Junior (since if the real thing happens, I'm going to have to save him). Now I always have a net and his water bottle filled w/ water sitting by his tank just in case.

Anyone else have an evacuation plan for their betta? Or have ever had to put it into effect?
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #2 
LadyVictorian

I never thought of one for my betta but I have one for my rats. I think if it came to it I would rip the tank off the shelf and run with cords dragging behind me but now I am going to set something up that will require less effort to carry and less tripping risk. Then I can use the spare water in the tank to put out fires xD, escape plans by the overly prepared.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #3 
Frazzle

People might not agree with me, but in the case of a fire, I'm out.
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #4 
magnum

I have thought of this before. Usually I just envision myself grabbing the fish and running with water cupped in my hands. Yeah, probably not a foolproof plan.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #5 
LadyVictorian

I'm trying to picture what firefighters will say to you Magnum. "Is that a fish in your hands?" "No it's the beloved family pet." I think my bandmates will think I'm crazy when I ask if there was a way we can take the fish on tour with us.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #6 
magnum

Hahahah!

The firefighters will probably put the fire hose on me and usher me back inside before I spread the fish disease.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #7 
Kitty Whiskers

I was in a house fire once. It started in the living room. All of my pets were in the bedroom with me. I lost all of my fish I only had time to get my 2 cats out from under the bed (they were scared and I had to tear the mattresses off the frame to get them) and my old dry 10 Gallon tank that I was useing for my pet mice to live in. I barely woke up from all the smoke that I was breatheing in as I slept that morning. My mom was pounding on the door and yelling to wake up but I could barely open my eyes and felt so very tired and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see clearly. It was so thick with smoke in my bedroom. I was about to pass out so I had to leave the house and leave my fish in their tank plus leave behind the one sick baby mouse in it's own cage across the room. I felt so bad!

Later after the fire was out we could return the next day to get stuff from the house. The tank the fish were in was all black and the glass in front was shattered. There was a fireman there to watch us get stuff out of our burned home for safety. I felt so terrible when he saw me looking at my burned, busted tank and said " Yeah that fish tank of yours sure was boiling when we got back here to the fire in your room, it burst right open when the cold water hit it." Can you belive he'd be so insensitive? It's like he didn't care how I was feeling already crying then he had to go and tell me that!

I'm not sure what I'd do if in a fire again. This time I'd probaby try to net them out into the small buckets I use to do their water changes. IDK.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #8 
Kenny G

Well I also never thought of what to do with my betta's in case of emergency.

I now know what I am going to do with 2 of the large plastic bowls and lids I get soup in from the Chinese restaurant!
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #9 
RandyTheBettaFish

I feel horrible saying this but honestly id probably leave my fish there. Im more concerned with my family members and with my cat and dog than my fish.
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #10 
laynisample

I like the water bottle idea. I'd probably fill them up, net the fish and plop them in. With four fish though that might take a little longer than i'd have.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote