Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Snail tank???

So after getting my new nerite snails in and then doing research (too late) ive decided not to place them in my tanks (I read up on parasites and dont want to chance it)...So now I have a tank of 8 nerite snails in a cycled planted betta tank ( I dont use that tank for the betta anymore, he moved to a nice set up) ...they seem healthy but just the same, im all set with introducing anything weird to my boys and try and be very sanitary with them. So now I have snail pets! LOL..what on earth do I do with these guys? I tried to sell them but no go...right now they are in a 6.6 gallon petco bookshelf tank with a couple of moss balls, java and anubias just hanging out munching on algea...I did get them some bottom feeder algea food...I dont know how much I need to clean the tank? How much to feed? or what size thank these guys need? lol what a mess. They are cute...but I deffinitely didnt have this in mind. Any help on creating the right habbitat and feeding them right would be great, thank you!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #2 
gbose

Not sure why you decided against putting the nerites into your tank. I have several in each of my tanks and they keep the algae down.

If you want to keep them by themselves, that's fine too. I have never tried feeding mine -- I let them graze on the natural algae that grows in the tanks. But I think algae wafers might work -- do they like them?

Good luck!

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #3 
Maddybelle

I breed apple snails. (pretty much the same, care-wise, just bigger) Algae wafers are the best invention ever! They don't last very long in my tanks, lol! As far as parasites go, it really depends on where you got them. For pet shop snails, I'd quarantine them just like with fish. Both my snail tanks had a betta each in them, until I brought the boys inside. (The "tanks", really just big rubbermaid containers, were outside, and fall fell, so the boys are now all settled in to their inside lodging)
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

:/
Nerites will eat prodominanty algae. if there arent any in the tank... try blanched veges. some will eat algae wafers, others will ignore and prefer to starve.

in a snail tank, increase water hardness by adding some crushed coral, shells etc...

Nerites should not carry any parasites. Snail parasites only come from wild collected snails....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #5 
Friendlyfishies

thank you all! aokashi...I read some different article from different places about them carrying flukes? Then I saw one of my snails has some little brown stringy things on his shell...im freaked lol..thats what started my concern...you guys definitely make me want to put them in there but on the flip side...im not sure I can get past the brown stringy thing hanging off the shell. It was probably nothing but its just weird...I havent seen anything like that since, but still. Thank you all for the input! Maybe after a few months ill add them but for now they will have their own tank :) ...

Crushed coral and shells it is! I will pick some up this week :)
sounds like im on the right track with the algea wafers!
Which blanched veggies can they happily/safely eat?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
thank you all! aokashi...I read some different article from different places about them carrying flukes? Then I saw one of my snails has some little brown stringy things on his shell...im freaked lol..thats what started my concern...you guys definitely make me want to put them in there but on the flip side...im not sure I can get past the brown stringy thing hanging off the shell. It was probably nothing but its just weird...I havent seen anything like that since, but still. Thank you all for the input! Maybe after a few months ill add them but for now they will have their own tank :) ...

spinach, zucchinis....

The shells are pretty easy to find. and petsmart sells small packs for around $2.
if you can find those, a bit of a cuttle fish bone will help them wirh their shells. make sure you boil it first.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #7 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post

I bought a nerite and my betta now has gill flukes I would be cautious and quarantine the snails. Everyone I talked to said they shouldn't carry parasites but now my betta is struggling to get better. Just be careful is all. Good luck.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #8 
Friendlyfishies

Great! we have spinach on an every other week basis! On occasion some zuccini too.

Exactly what I dont want to have happen Red Raz, thats terrible, I hope your guy heals up quick! I never thought about them having parasites til after I got them...$40 later between shipping and their cost per snail I find about the possibility lol...sucks, but ill do the best I can at giving them a good life though, they are awfully cute.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

lol, even so, you dont need to separate them forever. without i a final host flukes will die anyway :)

it's like ich. they have to find a host within 48 hours...
Old 09-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #10 
babystarz

Does anyone know if cuttlebone works as well as crushed coral as a calcium supplement for snails? I was thinking about getting one for my snails.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote