Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #1 
LizardFish

5 Gallons?

I have a five gallon tank I just found in storage, (A little bit of sunshine on my rainy day), and I was wondering what other aquatic animals I could put in there with a single male without overstocking the tank? I have been thinking about getting another male for about 2 months and I was thinking of a way to keep him occupied (If I ever get the other male).

I don't expect to be able to put a whole lot of fish in there, but maybe a snail or ADF or something? Any other fish suggestions would be appreciated.
LizardFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #2 
Laki

My thoughts on adf is that they like to be together in pairs or more. So that would be out of the question. I mean tons of people have single adf but that doesn't seem fair.. Snails are good. I just divided my 5.5 and have the 2 betttas, tonnes of plants and a ramshorn snail :)
With appropriate plant and coverage matter you could fit in a lot of shrimp
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #3 
LizardFish

Maybe I'll get a snail. (The lil' guy in your avatar seems to like it. :P)
How much do snails cost?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #4 
Silverfang

The ones in her avatar are free with plants, and often considered a pest.

Apples and nerites usually cost 4-5$ each here. Less at petsmart, but they have half dead ones usually :/
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #5 
LizardFish

Thanks. I will look into it, if I ever get my male. (I'm on the edge of being a hoarder I think...lol)
Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #6 
Laki

lol Mine is a ramshorn.. NOT a nerite and I'm only lucky I had it for a few months and controlled it down so he doesn't lay eggs. None of my ramshorns did for some reason. Silverfang was right, I didn't pay for these though. Get a nerite! lol Someone on the forum might send you one. (off hand I know silverfang has some, tiki and djembekah and maybe sakura8)
Old 09-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #7 
LizardFish

Do I have to worry about snails from a pet store laying eggs?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #8 
Laki

The ones that you will have a problem with are ramshorns (though mine never did, the petstore had a problem though so I know there was sperm going around) and pond snails and mts (little bugle shaped ones). Often you will see them hoarding tanks, typically they come in on plants.
If you buy a snail, you want to see that its called something like apple, mystery, rabbit, nerite (Which is actually the type of snail but these things are striped)..
Old 09-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #9 
LizardFish

Okay cool! I'll definantly check.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #10 
Silverfang

apples need both sexes to breed. Females can store sperm and lay eggs 6 months later. The good thing is that they are pink, above the water line, and easy to remove. YOU completely control whether or not the eggs are allowed to hatch. (yep, I had some egg laying monsters!).

Nerites also need both sexes, they may have an egg every now and then (I've never seen one personally), but they will never hatch or mature.

Ponds lay eggs, it's disgusting, I keep having to scrape off my plants. So do ramshorns (you don't have a problem with breeders? c'mere Laki!).

Ponds do not require both sexes, I believe ramshorns do.

Trumpets (MTS - Malaysian Trumpet Snails) are live bearers. They breed like rabbits. And you will be forever removing them. (I've had everything but rabbit snails).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote