Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #171 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbrew View Post
Just because youve said it before doesnt mean youre okay. It means youre going through something difficult. Maybe its one thing or maybe an accumulation of many things. I just dont think a person should have through heavy times alone. Its hard to open up. But sometimes its necessary to make changes needed to be in a better place.
I'll tell you whats bothering me this time. I have been sturggling with strange behaviors all my life and I finally found something that fits the description of my behaviors and that is Aspeger's syndrome. Well I had an appointment with my psychiatrist today and I was hoping he would diagnose me and then so many questions I have been asking myself my whole life would be answered. But no, he said to be diagnosed I would have to be tested which he said was really expensive. So now I have to continue to suffer through everything and I can't put a name to it so others and myself know whats wrong with me. I have never got the help and attention that I need for my problems and I probably never will.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #172 
agunn1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I'll tell you whats bothering me this time. I have been sturggling with strange behaviors all my life and I finally found something that fits the description of my behaviors and that is Aspeger's syndrome. Well I had an appointment with my psychiatrist today and I was hoping he would diagnose me and then so many questions I have been asking myself my whole life would be answered. But no, he said to be diagnosed I would have to be tested which he said was really expensive. So now I have to continue to suffer through everything and I can't put a name to it so others and myself know whats wrong with me. I have never got the help and attention that I need for my problems and I probably never will.
I feel you there, i cant afford to get tested to see whats up either. You have a support system here though, I am in the process of learning everything that i can learn about it since i am suspicious.
agunn1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #173 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by agunn1231 View Post
I feel you there, i cant afford to get tested to see whats up either. You have a support system here though, I am in the process of learning everything that i can learn about it since i am suspicious.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. Do you think you have Aspergers too? Or something else?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #174 
ktbrew

If your psych wont diagnose you unless you pay then i highly recommend finding help from your community's mental health programs. I know in MT, we have a Mental health clinic for people that dont have the financial on insurance coverage for seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist. Other than that you sound like you are doing the things that are very important like awareness, educating yourself and talking to people (on here) that may not know you personally, but wont judge you and want the best for you. I have ADD, anxiety and SPD. I went to a Nurse practitioner who has diagnosed me and prescribes me my meds because there is no way i could pay for a psychiatrist to. I hate that there are so many people out there that need help but cant get it because the cost. It isnt right.
ktbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #175 
sandybottom
Reference Team

adhd and anxiety disorder. they didn't call it adhd when i was a young girl in school. back then they called it, lazy or " she's just not applying herself." at least kids now can get help. although a lot of these kids are over-medicated. but at least it has a name now.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #176 
ktbrew

I didnt get diagnosed until I was 29. My son was diagnosed with ADHD and upon educating myself for him, i discovered that I should be diagnosed as well. Let me tell you, it changed my life. All of the years I spent questioning why things were do difficult for me and easy for others, wondering what was wrong with me finally had some answers. Medication is not a cure, but it gives the area of my brain that lacks concentration, motivation and endurance to complete simple tasks the "jump start" it cannot do on its own. I believe education, awareness and support are just as vital as medication in coping with the different wiring my brain has.

The difficult part with diagnosis and treatment with mental and mood "disorders" is that there isnt a blood test one can take and have the answers as to what a person needs to take, how much and how long. Its trial and error which can be just as hard to deal with as the disorder itself. However once a person finds support, diet, exercise, has educated themselves, and for some found the right meds or med combination, there is happiness and contentment....a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

Sorry to rant, but this is a subject I feel so strongly about.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #177 
sandybottom
Reference Team

the doctors my son has seen over the years have really run the gambit. on one hand one doctor thought just diet and exercise, others adderall at various strengths. i know its bad for his heart. so i worry a lot. i feel strongly about this too. this is something that you struggle with your entire life. sometimes i feel like sisyphus, pushing the boulder up the hill only for it to roll down again.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #178 
ktbrew

My son tried adderal and it made him an emotional wreck, then he tried concerta and we only had him on that for a week as it made him seem like he was on meth, last we have had himon dexedrine and it has worked for 4 years now. We just adjusted his dosage for the first time 2 months ago and that has had positive results as well.

Definitely doesnt take care of everything, but makes it easier for him to function at school. He has his emotional meltdowns regularly, which aren't easy, but its all comes down to dealing with one moment at a time vs looking too far into the future and it helps that i can relate and discuss that i too have these areas that are a struggle, and am here for him.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #179 
finnfinnfriend

I have always been obsessed with one thing at a time and I like to collect the things I am obsessed with. I also like to learn everything I can about the obsession. If something else catches my interest, my brain forces me to choose between the new thing and old thing. I can't be obsessed with two things at the same time. Sometimes my brain makes me pick the new thing, which is very painful for me because I want to hold on to the old thing. Sometimes there are short periods of time when I don't have an obsession. These times are also very upsetting and stressful. I often worry that parts of my collection are going to start being made differently or that the company will stop making it altogether. I also worry about parts of my collection becoming worn out or chemically breaking down before the end of my life.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #180 
finnfinnfriend

Oh and I like to talk about my obsession excessively.