Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #1 
magnum

Stu: Strange Behaviour

Housing
What size is your tank? Divided, each fish has 1.5 G of water.
What temperature is your tank? 30 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One other betta, divided.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Perfect Size Pellet Betta Food and occasionally Australian Black Worms. (Dried)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day, 2 pellets or one worm and one pellet. Also fast once a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% to 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditioner, Stress coat and sometimes IAL.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Loss of color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, rests on leaves or on bottom of tank for long periods of time
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Around 24 hours ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Tail-biting.
How old is your fish (approximately? A little over a year.

I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid or something, because my other fish died last week, but Stu's behaviour has been noticibly different. Lack of swimming, resting at the top or bottom for long periods etc. At the moment I am unable to get a picture.

Please help ASAP, I cant bear to lose Stu, he was my first betta.

EDIT: He is also having trouble swimming.

Last edited by magnum; 09-21-2012 at 08:26 PM.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Stu doesn't have any strange gray coloring advancing rapidly up his tailfin, does he? If not, we can rule out our mystery disease. It sounds like an acute bacterial outbreak may be the culprit here, most likely internal which is why you couldn't tell he had it until he started acting listless.

Can you get Stu into his own little hospital tank to make treatment easier? 1 tsp epsom salt per gallon plus the Stress Coat and the IAL. If you can find it, Seachem Kanaplex is the medication you want to treat this but it's pretty hard to find in stores even in the States. :( Otherwise, API Furan-2 is a good medicine for combating what I think may be acute onset columnaris. I know Petsmart carries that.

Drop the water temp down to 25 because if it is columnaris, the cooler water will slow it down.

I would clean the divided tank after this with hot water and a dilute bleach solution, to make sure all the bacteria is gone.

I hope this info helps you and I really hope Stu makes it. Hang in there, little betta buddy!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The tank could be bigger. A 30 Celsius or Fahrenheit. The symptoms line up with the tank being too small. It would probably help a bigger tank water temp changes are a problem. A filter and more decorations like live or silk plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #4 
Sakura8

30 Celsius, tank is divided.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am saying more stimulation would help,
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #6 
Sakura8

To keep the stress level down, you mean? True, it's a good preventative measure.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 
magnum

Okay, so I've turned down the heat. I don't think it's possible to move him though. I also live in Australia, so my LPS dosn't stock Seachem or many medicines. I've only got the IAL and stresscoat ATM. Should I put him in a cup or something that floats in the tank? :L

I'm actually really stressed ATM.

EDIT: He dosn't have the mystery disease.

Last edited by magnum; 09-21-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Okay, don't worry about moving him or meds. Up the dosage to 3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon. Don't despair, the natural method has prevailed before. :) Stu still has a chance.

If you have any other bettas, I would put an IAL in there with them now as a preventative measure.

Also, have you ever had your pH checked? Sudden swings in pH can produce similar symptoms.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #9 
magnum

I havn't been able to check PH the packs over here are at least $30. My other betta who is a divider over from him, as IAL in his tank already. I feel really bad, because I'm unable to go out and get the Epsom salts. (I don't drive, still 16) I feel like im letting him die... ):
Old 09-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Don't feel bad, magnum. Just the IAL is one of the best things you can do for him. All the epsom salts would do is help keep any fluids from building up in his body and causing bloat/dropsy. IAL is naturally antimicrobial and because it adds tannins and softens the water, it is making the water more comfortable and natural for Stu. If he is comfortable, he'll be less stressed and more able to fight off his illness. You're doing just fine, don't worry. :)