Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #1 
twolovers101

Fin rot, or am I paranoid?

I tried to get good pictures of him, but he's one active little fellow, I circled the little pinprick holes in yellow if that helps any...

I've heard that some fish develop small holes when their fins are growing... but I'm not sure so I decided to ask you guys about it...

Housing

What size is your tank? 3 gal
What temperature is your tank? 79-82
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omgea One flakes (cute up small) and FD blood worms (one every 2 days or so)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day, fast once a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2 50% 1 100%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? see above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta bowl plus (it's all I've got right now)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.8
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? TINY holes in caudal fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? roughly 1 week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Thought it was the hornwort at first, removed that, he clamped for a few days because I scared him and he seemed to heal up a bit after he unclamped, and now the holes are back
Does your fish have any history of being ill? don't know, had him for a little over 2 weeks now
How old is your fish (approximately)?unsure, bought him at petsmart, but he seems REALLY small to me so he may be younger than the usual 6 months that they sell them at most times (unsure of this)
Attached Images

twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #2 
Mahachai

It doesn't look like fin rot. Fin rots are usually brown and very noticeable. A betta's fin is very delicate and can be damage easily by plants or anything that has sharp edges. Right plants for bettas should be soft and bushy.
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #3 
twolovers101

I have him in with anacharis, some wisteria, and a patch of micro sword grass... I did net him a few days ago though (during a wc)... which may have prompted this

Other than that he's a healthy and active boy, I'm thinking he may just have SUPER delicate fins... Dx
Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #4 
magnum

If your really stressed, try putting some stress coat in, it will aid him in stress and if he does have any forming fin-rot put an end to it.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #5 
twolovers101

Okay I might do that, I have some free time tomorrow and was planning to go to the store anyway, thanks Magnum :)

(he's my baby so anything "out of the ordinary" makes me nervous lol)
Old 09-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #6 
Mahachai

I have read about Anacharis tearing other people's betta's fins, but never acutally seen it. Atleast we know it's not fin rot which is a relief. With a proper diet and good tank maintenance, his fins should patch up those holes well. If it happens again, then it could be from one of the plants.

But if you really think it's the net's fault then there's a fancy net made from Thailand that are meant just for bettas. It's more of a scooper and holds water with the betta in there. Here is what it looks like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BETTA-NET-SC...-/110876952021
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:16 AM   #7 
twolovers101

Thanks! I've been wanting to get one of those, just didn't know how to look it up XD

And yeah, I had problems with hornwort (my other bettas do just fine with it, which makes me think his fins are a little extra sensitive) I got the anacharis because it's a tad bit more gentle and he loves swimming through it, so I don't really want to remove it :/ it's also not shredding his fins like the hornwort did, even if it may be poking them a bit.

Thanks for all your help everyone!