Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #11 
magnum

Thanks for reassuring me. I'll see if I can get some stuff this afternoon. Lol, now I'm stressing that he has TB :o
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #12 
Sakura8

I can't imagine how he could get TB. TB thrives in tanks that are overcrowded and dirty. Everything which your tank is NOT. And TB doesn't kill that fast. It's more of a long, wasting away disease. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #13 
magnum

I know, I'm just freaking out. I'll update you guys in about an hour! Thanks for all the help Sakura, your awesome!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #14 
Sakura8

You're welcome. Good luck and I'll be thinking of Stu. :)
Old 09-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #15 
magnum

Stu seems to be improving a little, he's swimming around a bit more and such. The temperature is down at 26 degrees atm, so I'm hoping that's helping. I think this afternoon I might be able to go and grab some Epson Salts. How much are they btw? And is it the same as AS?
Old 09-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #16 
Sakura8

Epsom salts can be found at most any pharmacy or drugstore. They're used by us humans as muscle soaks or as a laxative (nasty). They shouldn't be very much, just be sure to get ones that don't have any scents or colors. Plain magnesium sulfate is all you want.

ES is different in that it isn't a true "salt" like AQ salt is. I think we just call it that because of its crystal structure or something.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #17 
magnum

I'm not sure my parents will let me buy salts for my fish from a drugstore, ahahaha. Will AQ salt help any? Is is worth buying?
Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Tell your parents the epsom salts are for a muscle sprain, then sneak some into the tank.

Neither salt is really necessary but if you did want to try one, I'd stick with the epsoms. I'd be worried that the AQ salt would aggravate any internal infection and cause swelling.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #19 
magnum

*sprains ankle* Mum, Dad, can we go buy some Epsom Salts?

Okay. Will the Stress Coat help at all? And does mixing my normal water conditioner and Stress Coat both affect the fish? Just wondering because I founf out that Stress Coat also acts as a WC and I wasn't sure then if adding both in at the same time could result in something.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #20 
Sakura8

Stress Coat will help him to keep his electrolyte level balanced so he can produce enough slime coat. Slime coat will in turn help him fight off further infection. It shouldn't react badly to being mixed with other water conditioners. I've used it on a strictly medical basis before and not as a conditioner. I think you have to overdose pretty drastically with any kind of water conditioner before it becomes harmful. Like, pour half the bottle into a 1 gal or something like that.