Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #1 
AHaskell5

Troubleshooting help, anyone?

I have a situation on my hands I have yet to have before.... I put one of my pairs in the spawning tank yesterday morning ... theres a lot to it so let me start at the beginning;
I put the female in a glass bowl yesterday morning and floated her in the spawning tank (which has been the male's domain for the past 48 hours) after I gave it a 100% water change. The entire day I checked on the male's nest progress, but nothing, the female didnt show much interest but he was avindly displaying for her. I woke up the next moring and checked; the male still hadnt even thought about building a nest, but he had picked a spot where he obviously favored and was trying to lure her under. Hours later when I came back she had jumped out of her bowl and was swimming with the male. The male was showing off but being gentle with her- hed flare and rub up against her but not nip- and she was playing hard to get. So I decided to let her stay. Now the situations reversed- she wants him and is ready to go and trying to intise HIM under the spot that there are a few bubbles (that I stole from another male's tank) But he ignores her, instead he noses around every which way and when he gets the chance takes a nip out of her then swims off casually. He rarely goes into full prisuit of her. I attempted to float another male in the tank to show him "if you dont want her someone else does" but he hid from him the whole time! I tried to get him to flare at his reflection but once his gills came up he darted from himself! I simply dont know what to make of it. Hes more interested in the sponge filter than the female. Any input? Im thinking he may be too young but I was told he's 5 months
AHaskell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #2 
lvandert

Sometimes the pair you pick just don't like one another. It's very possible that your male is too young, but its more possible he's just not aroused by the female.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #3 
Setsuna

I lmao when you said you stole some bubble from another males nest thats just funny. But yea your problem if you can take a picture of your breeding pair i might know how to help you some more
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #4 
AHaskell5

I decided to scrap the pair last night and he was looking up at the nest site I gave him like "hmmm whats this for" sometimes it works if you put bubbles under it , sometimes they decided they dont want to comply haha.
AHaskell5 is offline   Reply With Quote