Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

dealing with electricity, whats safe and whats not safe!?

I have 3 tanks plugged into 2 power strips plugged into a double ended extension cord which is plugged into an old farm house outlet. Not gonna lie, its making me a little uneasy..but its the only thing I can do right now. Luckily I think this house used to be owned by an electician so im sure for the most part the house is safe...but its still in the back of my mind... I see some of you also have mulitiple bettas in different tanks in the same area...how do you run all the cords? What's safe? Whats not safe?

Note* the powers stips have surge protection, if that helps?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #2 
Ramla

I can't say I am an expert or anything and I can't give you a lot of advice, but the one thing that you might want to change is not using the extension cord along with the powerstrips. I know in my dorm that is one of the things we are not allowed to use, due to the higher potential of fire.

If you need to maybe consider getting power strips that have longer cords so you don't need to use the extension cords. And maybe figuring out how to hang or raise the power strips to allow for the drip loops.

Those I guess are the things that I would consider if I was in your position
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramla View Post
I can't say I am an expert or anything and I can't give you a lot of advice, but the one thing that you might want to change is not using the extension cord along with the powerstrips. I know in my dorm that is one of the things we are not allowed to use, due to the higher potential of fire.

If you need to maybe consider getting power strips that have longer cords so you don't need to use the extension cords. And maybe figuring out how to hang or raise the power strips to allow for the drip loops.

Those I guess are the things that I would consider if I was in your position
I agree..the only thing that would worry me would be using an extension cord with power strips. The make some power strips with really long cords, but if you have to use an extension cord I would suggest one of the ones rated for outdoor use. Please be careful.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #4 
oryin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
I agree..the only thing that would worry me would be using an extension cord with power strips..
I third this.
oryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #5 
Friendlyfishies

Ive never seen long cord power strips, where do they sell them? Something im very interested in buying.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #6 
goldfishyman

Newegg.com - TRIPP LITE PS3612 12 Outlets Power Strip 120V Input Voltage 1800W Maximum Power 15 Feet Cord Length
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #7 
davyj0427

Go to your fuse box and look inside. Are there the round fuses that screw in like light bulbs? If so make sure it has the number 15 or below on it. If there is a penny stuck in there turn off everything and call an electrician. If an electrician use to live there and you have the more modern circuit breakers they look like small boxes with a switch on them you will be ok. A surge protector will not help in this situation they are for protecting your equipment from power surges (hence the name) You could have a GFCI outlet installed or get an extension cord with one on it that would be more beneficial especially around water. Thar cuts the power to the circuit when a short is sensed. They don't want people to use extension cords for long term uses because they could get pinched and stepped on multiple times and the insulation could rub off and create a short and possible fire. Its a small risk but it there that's why they don't allow them in dorm settings Inspect your cord for nicks or cuts in the insulation and if you find any get rid of it. The amount of power you are drawing is minimal I wouldn't worry about if the above items are there.
davyj0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Nice job, Davyjo. A very clear answer and explanation.

When most people think of extension cords, they think the 'lamp cord' versions. There are heavy duty cords that are as thick as the cords on surge protectors.

For three tanks, I run 3x25W heaters, 2x10Wlights and 3x5W filters on one socket. Add it up. Even when everything is on at the same time, it's still only as much as a 100W light bulb.

It looks like a fire marshal's nightmare, but all lines have drip loops and they're plugged into a surge protector. I feel perfectly at ease with this setup.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #9 
Ramla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
Ive never seen long cord power strips, where do they sell them? Something im very interested in buying.
I'm pretty sure I spotted some at target when I was looking for one for college this year. You'll have to pay attention to the packaging for the cord length, since honestly that was really the only difference in appearance. Otherwise they all almost looked the same XD
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #10 
goldfishyman

No one likes the 12 outlet 15ft cord power strip rated for 1800 watts? lol
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote