Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #1 
JadeAngel

Betta personality changes

I didn't realize how much I wrote! OMG! Ok.... I'll rewrite this shorter >.<

I've had 2 bettas for 2 months, separate 5 gallon tanks. Same water changes, same tank set up and both have filters.

My husband's is hyper as always, but mine has been rather lazy the last few weeks. Also he had little to no appetite. Tank temps were at 78 but went down to 74, so I ordered heaters. They haven't arrived yet.

I took water samples to petsmart, they tested them. My husband's was a bit high on everything, mine was high on nitrates and nitrates and the highest the tests go for akalitity and hardness. Makes sense since the township has been doing a LOT of road construction lately (including right in front of my house, repaving a lot of roads, etc)

So I changed a third of my husband's tank water with spring water, and most of mine. That was 2 days ago. Today Saki is eating more, but still being a lazy little guy. When he WANTS to move he is fast and has no problem moving. It just seem that he doesn't want to move around much, and spends all day either next to the filter or on 1 tall leaf.

He avoids the left side of his tank completely, so i want to know what I can do or what may be wrong that he avoids that side of the tank, and what can get him more energy? Is he just hyper sensitive to water temperatures? or will it just take a while longer for the fresh water to help him get better? Aside from that and his face being darker (like it does when he is stresed, it lightens when he is happier) there are no other symptoms.

Any suggestions? I can't afford to buy anything now, I had to stretch to buy the heaters... but should I wait longer? Should I have petsmart test the water again now that it's changed? (by the way, he has a tank mate... african dwarf frog... but he never flares at him, chases him, etc. They get along peacefully)

Last edited by JadeAngel; 09-22-2012 at 08:37 AM.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #2 
teeneythebetta

What sizes are the tanks and what is your water change schedule?

BTW it is not good to use spring/bottled water for your fish tank. It lacks minerals that keep the bettas healthy. It's better to use tap water with water conditioner.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #3 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
What sizes are the tanks and what is your water change schedule?

BTW it is not good to use spring/bottled water for your fish tank. It lacks minerals that keep the bettas healthy. It's better to use tap water with water conditioner.
The tap water is contaminated because of all the construction on the streets lately, which is why I had no choice. If I used that water right now, it might literally kill our bettas. I used conditioner before, and still do. The tap water was fine before, so when the construction is finished and the water tests ok again, I will go back to the tap water. (note, I live in a house that is more than 120-130 years old. This town is old and so any street construction knocks around the old pips under the road and loosens any built up minerals or contaminents. Our water has literally turned brown before resulting from this, and the water tested fine 2 months ago)

I had to rewrite my post because I realized I had written a book, rather than a post. I didn't realize I left some details out when rewriting it.

5 gallon tanks, filters, 2 silk plants in each tank, mine has an additional plastic plant, air stone in each, and gravel substrate.

Weekly-biweekly change of 25% of the water, and I vaccuum out the food bits as needed (before it was only once a week because he rarely let food make it to the bottom, but now it's every couple of days... then I replace that bit of water with new conditioned water... which is normally only 8-16 ounces)

Last edited by JadeAngel; 09-22-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Oh okay :)
Since your tanks are not cycled you need more water changes. Each tank will need cleaned twice weekly, 1 50% and 1 100% change.

The build up of ammonia/nitrites is probably what is making him act strangely. Each betta reacts to things in different ways at different times, so that might be why your other betta doesn't seem as affected.

You might be better off Filling up those huge Jugs at the water stations at places like Walmart or publix.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #5 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Oh okay :)
Since your tanks are not cycled you need more water changes. Each tank will need cleaned twice weekly, 1 50% and 1 100% change.

The build up of ammonia/nitrites is probably what is making him act strangely. Each betta reacts to things in different ways at different times, so that might be why your other betta doesn't seem as affected.

You might be better off Filling up those huge Jugs at the water stations at places like Walmart or publix.
I tested it after I had him for a few weeks and it was cycled then... how long do you think it will take to get it cycled again? Also, the filter is not really looking bad or anything, but do you think changing the filter cartridge might help?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeAngel View Post
I tested it after I had him for a few weeks and it was cycled then... how long do you think it will take to get it cycled again? Also, the filter is not really looking bad or anything, but do you think changing the filter cartridge might help?
A cycled tank will maintain 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite and small levels of nitrates.
It takes on average 6 weeks to cycle the tank but it might take less since you're already started.

Never ever change the filter cartridge, that is where the BB are that are essential part of a cycled tank. Changing the filter cartridge basically ruins your cycle. The brown on the cartridge is the beneficial bacteria.
You can swish it in a bucket of USED tank water to remove debris

I suggest getting Seachem prime water conditioner to prevent harming your fish during cycling, and this- http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

Once your tanks are completely cycled, you can do 1 weekly change of 25-50%

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 09-22-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #7 
JadeAngel

Quote:
A cycled tank will maintain 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite and small levels of nitrates.
It takes on average 6 weeks to cycle the tank but it might take less since you're already started.

Never ever change the filter cartridge, that is where the BB are that are essential part of a cycled tank. Changing the filter cartridge basically ruins your cycle. The brown on the cartridge is the beneficial bacteria.
You can swish it in a bucket of USED tank water to remove debris

I suggest getting Seachem prime water conditioner to prevent harming your fish during cycling, and this- http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

Once your tanks are completely cycled, you can do 1 weekly change of 25-50%

That's good to know about the filter. Like I said, it had completed cycling and testing before, but then the county started all this construction (it seems they are on a re-paving rampage) and after having petsmart test it (I can't afford any tests right now) I was shocked.

Regardless of not knowing, since the filter is only 2 months old, I haven't changed it by luck. It's good you told me, because when I looked it up I found everywhere saying to change the cartridge every 3-6 months depending on build up o.o

Any suggestions on cheaper tests? I would much rather do them myself but we're in a financial rutt so to speak and I just can't afford it. I did see a ph wheel on clearance at the pet store so I'm going to stop by today and get it if they still have it there.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
That's good to know about the filter. Like I said, it had completed cycling and testing before, but then the county started all this construction (it seems they are on a re-paving rampage) and after having petsmart test it (I can't afford any tests right now) I was shocked.

Regardless of not knowing, since the filter is only 2 months old, I haven't changed it by luck. It's good you told me, because when I looked it up I found everywhere saying to change the cartridge every 3-6 months depending on build up o.o

Any suggestions on cheaper tests? I would much rather do them myself but we're in a financial rutt so to speak and I just can't afford it. I did see a ph wheel on clearance at the pet store so I'm going to stop by today and get it if they still have it there.
The test strips tend to be a little bit inaccurate, youre better off getting a liquid test kit. You can get it really cheap on amazon.
Go to the link below, and you can select the one from "All Pet" for only $16.50 + $5.54 shipping. Thats pretty much the cheapest ive ever seen a brand new API kit. I used this kit and its awesome. It tests PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #9 
JadeAngel

Quote:
The test strips tend to be a little bit inaccurate, youre better off getting a liquid test kit. You can get it really cheap on amazon.
Go to the link below, and you can select the one from "All Pet" for only $16.50 + $5.54 shipping. Thats pretty much the cheapest ive ever seen a brand new API kit. I used this kit and its awesome. It tests PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
Yeah, petsmart uses mardel test strips if I saw right, but I'll have to make do as I just can't afford anything else right now :(
Old 09-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Yeah, petsmart uses mardel test strips if I saw right, but I'll have to make do as I just can't afford anything else right now :(
Alright, i wouldnt waste any money on PH tests though, try to focus on getting an ammonia test more importantly.

keep me posted :)