Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #1 
toad

Floating until heater comes in?

Do you guys think it would be okay to float my newest betta in a cup in the heated community tank (the only tank with no betta fish in it) until his heater arrives from Amazon? I keep my house on the chilly side, and don't want to freeze him. His tank is all set up, but it's cold
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #2 
DragonFish

It should be alright. Just give him his daily water changes, keep the lid on so he doesn't jump out or anything, and, if you can, maybe add a little piece of a live floating plant or even silk plant in there with him. I've floated cups in tanks(usually with other bettas, actually, since I haven't kept other fish in a long time)for a few days during emergencies before and everyone survived. xD So it should be OK.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #3 
tammysaltmarsh

I just got my betta fish Friday and the water I put him in is all milky now......HELP!
tammysaltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #4 
toad

Thanks, Dragon :) After I do their water change, I'll stick him in there. He could use some clean water, too, actually... What's the best way to change the cup water without hurting him?

Tammy, did you rinse the substrate before you put it in the tank? Perhaps you are seeing dust from the gravel/sand you used? Also, how much water are we talking about? 1, 5, 10 gallons?
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Sure thing. ;)
What I've done with changing cups is I used the small net I have, poured the fish into it, filled the cup with same temp dechlorinated water and then plopped my betta back in it. It may sound a little harsh, but so long as the water is from the same source and the same temp its not all that bad....my fish never really seemed all that stressed or upset by it. A little surprised for the first few seconds, but thats about it.
Maybe someone else has a gentler way of doing it, but thats the way that I've done it and it works for me. It was also the way we changed cups when I worked at an LPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammysaltmarsh View Post
I just got my betta fish Friday and the water I put him in is all milky now......HELP!
It would definitely help if you could provide us with a little more information about your setup.....size, substrate, temp, decor.....perhaps in your own thread so others can see it as well? ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote