Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #1 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Difference?

What is the main difference of show Bettas to regular Bettas? Is it different line? Is it different quality? Just wondering? Is it if they have show blood in them? How many of you keep show bettas?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

Show bettas are different from "normal" bettas the same way Show dogs are different from regular dogs.

Show dogs have to have perfect qualities, wether it's the right color coat or the right color nose. Bettas are similar. Show bettas are based on certain qualifications and those that don't meet those qualities are usually sold in pet stores, or even by breeders.

None of my boys are show quality (besides Sir Bubs I guess) and I'm fine with that xD

I've never shown but I think it'd be interesting to try.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Thanks I was wondering. I keep a chocolate betta he almost exactly fits dark colored bi color and delta exactly it seems.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #4 
Mo

actually there is no such thing as show quality IMO except for the fish that dont have classes.. technically every fish can be shown including VT's in the NB class so there really is no definition of a "show betta" as any fish can technically show in one category or another.. but if you are speaking of a betta with nice FORM then you are talking about the certain qualifications it has such as a good strong 180 degree spread on HM's, Even, and nice ray branching for CT's, and even caudal lobes for DT's these are just some of the many qualifications that a betta must meet in order to have very nice/acceptable form and in order to place in a show
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #5 
Alcemistnv

Ahhh thank you Mo.

I was completely mixing up things while relating to show dogs xD
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

You mean someone can show a petstore betta in Nb class?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #7 
Mo

pretty much.. it isnt gonna place well.. the only rule is that you have to have bred it yourself.. one year the trashipper Jennifer Vivieros (sp) bought whole bunch of fish and showed tem as her own but ended up getting her points suspended..
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

How can they tell if someone is lying about whether or not they bred the fish?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #9 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
How can they tell if someone is lying about whether or not they bred the fish?
you probably have to provide photos and/or documentation of the parents, and timescale/birthdate etc, things you'd only accurately have if you bred them yourself.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #10 
EvilVOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
You mean someone can show a petstore betta in Nb class?
No you cannot, part of what you can show is it has to be either a fish you bred, or you can show a fish bred by someone else, but only as a team (with the actual breeder) in the regular classes. You can only show fish you bred in New Breeder.

Not sure they really can tell if you are the breeder, I think they just go on "good faith". I'm in the new breeder class and no one has questioned me on anything. But also the people that run these shows are the top breeders in the country, and they also personally know most of the other top breeders from here and other countries and their fish, so you're probably not going to sneak in something you got from one of them.

Last edited by EvilVOG; 09-23-2012 at 01:11 AM.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote