Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #11 
vilmarisv

Chapter 5 of the IBC handbook states what the ideal show betta is:
"THE IDEAL SHOW BETTA
The ideal show Betta is in excellent health as shown by its faultless condition and vigorous deportment. The body
and fins are unblemished. There are no body scars, spots, and missing or misshapen scales. Fin rays are straight or
smoothly curved. Fins are held rigidly erect and gills are fully flared. Movement is continuous and aggressive with violent
response to any intruder.
The ideal show Betta presents nearly mirror-image symmetry above and below an imaginary mid-lateral
line. This Betta is well proportioned with respect to fins and body size. The body is smoothly tapered toward the
caudal peduncle. The dorsal fin approaches the anal fin in shape, width, and size. There is a 180-degree spread
between first and last caudal rays. The outer margins of the dorsal, caudal and anal fins trace a continuous
circular contour with no gaps between fins. Fins are broad and overlap at the edges. Secondary and tertiary
divisions occur at even intervals along the lengths of fin rays.
The ideal show Betta exhibits brilliant coloration of uniform density. In solid color classes there are no off-color
washes in the fins and no blotching or speckling of unwanted colors on the body. Patterned types have dark and bright
colors in shades that produce the highest contrast. The overall appearance of color on this Betta is one of vivid, sparkling

beauty.

So yes, there is such thing as a show quality betta; if it doesn't meet the standards of said show then it's not of showable quality.

This is a GENERAL description. The handbook then indicates qualities for every class.

Last edited by vilmarisv; 09-23-2012 at 01:52 AM.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Got it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #13 
Mo

Oh wow.. So it can't show if it doesn't meet those descprictions? I thought the only disqualifications were damage, no ventral fins, or no visible egg spot on females and vice versa for males
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #14 
EvilVOG

The best thing i can tell you is learn the class(es) of the fish you intend to compete in. There are little differences from class to class that the breif there kind of misses, specifically Traditional and asymmetrical plakat will not be "perfect mirror image" and DT bettas should have a much shorter body than any other class, ect.

But Vill is 100% correct, and Mo you're kind of hitting on why there is a "show quality betta" and ones that are not show quality. Those things Mo mentioned are an outright disqualification, along with the fact that any fish entered regardless of class must be at least 1.5". You can send whatever you want to the show, but if it's not at least pretty good form, or if it's got a feature that gets it disqualified, you may as well have sent it for nothing.

That being said don't be too wary about sending fish in. Lots of fish have faults, and if it doesn't they'll invent new ones to set them apart. Sometimes you may even find you're the only one entered in your class, or even see that no one is competing at all in another.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I was just wondering theoretically. I am way to young to go around showing bettas. My parents have a two tank rule so no breeding.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #16 
inareverie85

It can technically be shown absent those qualities, but it won't place or do well at all. I guess it depends on whether you identify a "show fish" as a fish that can legally be shown or a fish that actually has a chance of placing (ie. adhering as closely as possible to the IBC guidelines).

I'd identify a "show fish" as a show that has a chance of placing, but that's just me. Why put a fish under the stress of shipping/traveling to a show if it won't even have a chance of doing OK in it?
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #17 
Mo

Yeah. Ashley I agree.. I was looking at those pics that martin posted of the show fish and most were nice but a few we're some that weren't worth the money of showing
Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Makes sense I see you got an avatar mo.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Mo, I thought you were a member of the IBC.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #20 
Mo

I am but they way the Standards are orginized confuses me. not the sandards myself but the "files Section. It took a while to find them and I cant navigate that page very easily