Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #1 
scurrie11

What is a good temperature range? Someone please reply...

Okay, I know that betta fish are obviously tropical, need a heater, and shouldn't REALLY be below 76. But what is the maximum? My rescue, Rico, is in a 3.5 and his heater has officially heater his tank to 90 degrees. Which I feel is too high, but he apparently doesn't notice. He is super active, hungry, happy, he's been my rescue for not even a week and he's blowing bubble nests and acting perfectly normal. But I think 90 is CRAZY high...

If he's acting normal, does it matter? My room is also really hot right now, so thats having an affect on all of my tanks, so obviously when its colder the heater will be great (it heats exactly 15 degrees above room temperature.)

Someone, please, I don't care if you're a moderator or whatever, just give me a second opinion, because I don't want to boil the poor kid...
scurrie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #2 
registereduser

Apparently it is not too high for him if he enjoys it. I would worry more about the range, like does it go down to 74 at night and then all the way back to 90 and so on?

My 5 gallon got up to 85 this summer and he was fine.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #3 
scurrie11

It hasn't fluctuated before the heat wave today. It was at a constant 80-81, even during cold days. But today, its at like 90-91, it wasn't like that this morning. So I'm wondering if its because its so hot in here. I added some 80 degree water to his tank to bring it down 2 degrees. He still seems fine. He's completely fascinated by the thermometer that now inhabits his tank...

Just in case, what are the signs of a fish in too hot of water? Would they be on the ground breathing heavily? Would they be floating uncontrollably? What would it be?

Thank you for your quick reply.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #4 
registereduser

found an old thread about cooling off the water:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=44051
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #5 
DiiQue

Its probably because of the heat wave... how about turning it off until the wave is over... what is the temp without the heater?
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:19 AM   #6 
Kenny G

In my opinion I would leave his heater off for a couple of hours each day until the temperature drops down to 80 degrees. What is your tank temperature at night without the heater on?
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

if he enjoys it, it's fine. might shorten his life span due to increased metabolism and activity
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #8 
scurrie11

Okay, over night, leaving it on, it dropped down to about 85. And its been there ever since.

@kenny - I don't want to fluctuate his temperature too much. I took a reading on my other betta tank last night and theirs was about 88, this morning its about 85 as well. My tropical community tank is about 84 this morning.

I think it was just because of the heat wave but I'll keep an eye on it. My apartment has been having a lot of heating issues as well, it overheats the upstairs, and underheats the downstairs. And of course, my room gets the hottest.

Do you really think it will shorten his lifespan? I understand metabolism and how that works, but would having is temperature still below 90 really do that to him? he would just need to be fed more, because he would digest so much quicker. But it wouldn't really be overactive at that point, because he probably won't be losing weight. If he DOES start getting skinny again, I will definitely get a new heater....
Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

:D It might :)
if you look at the smaller fish, ie, endlers, they will mature faster and breed faster at 90F buy their lifespans are shorter too in comparison with thise who are kept at 80F
ao is offline   Reply With Quote